Junie's Place: Farm Life of the Past: Jake (Part two)

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Farm Life of the Past: Jake (Part two)

...A continuing farm story from my husband's past...



In late fall, in this time and place, after the crops were harvested, most folks who had hogs would turn them out to forage in the fields, mostly corn fields, for whatever they could find to eat. No one minded as it benefited everyone for the hogs to roam free during this time. Winter was the time for slaughtering the hogs and the corn leavings in the fields would help in adding weight before the coldest days of winter came and the hogs could be butchered safely. Without refrigeration, the cold days were essential.

Sometimes sows with new litters of piglets would be seen. Often, hogs have more babies than they can raise. There is almost always a runt that gets shorted on the feeding, and does not thrive.

Such was the case with Jake.

Ed was the one who spotted the little runt pig, unable to keep up with his mother and brothers and sisters. He was much smaller than the rest and was always trailing behind
in the ongoing search for food in the cornfields.


~~~~~~~

...to be continued...


Junie

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 9:29 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

I'm a sucker for an underdog story (or underpig in this case). ec

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

...now, ec, I warn you - don't get too attached to JAKE! :)

June

 
At 3:58 AM , Blogger Jacqui said...

Oh dear, I don't think I want to hear the next episode about Jake.

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger Merle said...

Hello June ~~ Like my sister-in-law
Jacqui, I dread further news of Jake.
Good storys though June. I felt for the
little boy who wanted a bike.
Thanks for your comments and lad you liked the joke. Yes, I had a great visit
with my family. My daughter-in-law was
busy raking and sweeping Autumn leaves,
but overnight we had wind and rain and there is now more than ever. I will do
them when it fines up. Cheers, Merle

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Merle and Jacqui,

Thanks for reading my farm stories.

That boy wanting the bike is Charles Edward, my husband.
He was know as Ed ntil he went in the Air Force.

June

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Skye said...

This is an interesting story, Junie!
I don't know why, but it's making me crave BACON!! :)

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)

ahhh- poor Jake! He does that to people!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home