Junie's Place: Harvest Loaf-Yummy!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Harvest Loaf-Yummy!




(This I posted last November on my AOL Journal...(still on my side bar)

It's a very good cake which has been part of our holidays- forever- or so it seems!


~~~~~~


HERE, by 'popular request' is the Harvest Loaf recipe!

For years my sis and I felt like this was our very own, special, thing!
She found this recipe and shared it with me around 40 years ago and
we've both made this every Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday, since that time.

NOW we find it's on the internet-PLUS-I found it on a Wal-Mart recipe card
(but minus the nuts!) :)

Anyway-EVERYONE should have the Harvest Loaf experience- so I'm posting
'My' recipe here!


Harvest Loaf

I 3/4 cups flour (reg.) sifted
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp.ginger
1/4 tsp.ground cloves
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
3/4 cup chopped nuts (chopped finer than they usually are in package)

Oven @350

9x5 greased and floured pan

Combine flour, soda, salt and spices.

Cream butter well - gradually add sugar - Blend in eggs - beat well.

...to this...

add dry ingredients, alternately with pumpkin, beginning and ending
with dry ingredients.

Stir in chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup nuts.

Turn into pan and top with remaining nuts.

Bake 65 to 75 minutes. (or until tooth pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean)

Let cool about 10 minutes. Run knife around all edges and turn out
onto rack to finish cooling!

I usually put a powdered sugar icing on top - in strips going both ways.
(as seen in photo!)
I do this while cake is still warm.

Recipe for this icing can be found on box of sugar.

(or mix well, powdered sugar (sm, amount) with a couple
spoons of cream or canned milk and few drops vanilla- mix until smooth and thick
enough to pour from a big spoon-onto your cake) :)

***Note About Pumpkin:
One can pumpkin -net wt. 15 oz.- is just enough for 2 Harvest Loaves-
so I usually make 2 cakes and don't have that half can of pumpkin left!***


Enjoy!

Juniper

AKA- Ginga

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 12:40 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Yummy is right! Looks wonderful Junie. Now I'm hungry....

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Yummy is right! Looks wonderful Junie. Now I'm hungry....<<<


Me too! ....BUT I don't have them made yet! Can't seem to get myself going to get things done!


Junie

 
At 10:49 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

It sounds yummy and looks even yummier. ec

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Granny said...

The size can I buy would make 4. So much the better.

Yum. Stealing it. Thanks.

Have a wonderful holiday if we don't connect between now and then.

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Ann,

I think you and your fam. will love these harvest cakes!

Happy Thanksgiving!

June

 
At 8:53 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

Oh! This cake IS very good-also, it freezes well for later use.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

June

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Junie,
I just know my family would love this! I make pumpkin choc chip muffins that are one of their favs!
Thanks for sharing :)

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Sue,

My sister told me this was a Pillsbury bake-off winner (all those years ago!)

I only know it's Very good! :)

Hope your fam. love it!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home