Junie's Place: My new specs

Friday, June 13, 2008

My new specs



Today I got my new glasses!

Wish I could say I 'see' a big change in my vision... Truth is - I don't!

Oh- maybe there's a tiny bit of improvement, but not enough to brag about!

Ha! But at least they are not falling apart! At least they will stay on my face!


The 'shades' look very dark, but they don't seem dark when being worn! I like both pairs ok, as far as the way they look- and, at least I can see a bit better with them!

I'll get by!


~~~

We have a lot going on here at the present time...

For one- we are doing a lot of improvements on our small rental house; new kitchen cabinets and counter tops, new flooring- and there will need to be some painting done, too!

Our son wants to rent the place. He's getting excited about having his own place again, as he's been here with us for awhile. (since his divorce)

~~~


Also, we are having new counter tops made for
our house! They will be those new counters that look like marble. ( but aren't!) I can't think of the name but it's very popular and used a lot these days- in new homes!

I have never been happy with my kitchen here- mainly because of this high brick wall separating my kitchen from the nook area!







Our builder bungled everything up on this house. We were in Miami at the time the house was being built and had limited contact with the builder as the house was going up! ( I , especially, had little input on the way things came together) I DID want this brickwork in the kitchen...but I had in mind a counter on top of it....NOT this high brick wall! I showed the man a picture of how I wanted it to look! This is NOT what I wanted at all!

The sink is behind the brick, with our eating area on the side you see here.

We plan to take the brick down level with the sink, for the new counter top. We will be removing the first 2 rows of brick! (I will not have a back splash for the sink but I can deal with that better than having this wall that I can barely see over!) Although this counter won't be serviceable as a sit down counter, I will at least have a little space to pass dishes over, or to set them on , when we eat or have coffee at the nook table!

LOL- I feel I'm not explaining this very well...


This picture is the side with the longest counter and we are going to extend this on to the door way, just past the table in the pic. The continuation of the counter here will be a sit down area , level with the rest of the counters , where we can have a bar stool. I will use this for the phone area- and remove the table I have there now!

This picture shows where we will have to remove the brick! The other one is where the sink is- and these 2 brick posts are opposite each other, leading into the nook area. The sink wall is the shorter part of an L shape with the longer part where my stove is!




My attempts at explaining all this I know are confusing but I'm sure you can look at the pictures and get an idea of how much work is involved!

Charles plans to drill into the mortar to remove the unwanted bricks! He thinks it won't be too awfully hard! I hope he's right about that!

I'm excited about all this! It's something I've wanted to do for a long time...make this kitchen more appealing!

I DO love the brick...just not the way the guy used them!

~~~

Here are some scenes of our Crepe Myrtles, which are in bloom now! Charles loves these plants and at last count I think his # of plants was around 50! :)






















Here is a visitor I had in my side yard yesterday!

I didn't try to get close to him but zoomed in with the camera!





Hope you've all had a good day!


Junie

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:32 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Lots going on there. I hope the work goes smoothly.

 
At 12:31 AM , Blogger Carletta said...

Hi Junie,
The glasses look very nice - I was expecting a photo of you with them on :)
Hope all the repair and redo's go smooothly.
That little squirrel looks like he posed for you.

 
At 9:20 AM , Blogger Merle said...

Dear June ~~ The glasses look nice
and I guess we will see them on you.
The crepe myrtles are very pretty.
What a lot of work to do the
renovations, but I am sure you will
enjoy them once you wear them and
even a little improvement is good.
Thanks for your comment on the Pavlovas. They are delicious.
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks all of you above for your visit and comments.


Merle

and

Carletta...

I thought of making a pic of myself in the new glasses but then I saw what a mess my hair is right now and thought better of it! :)



Junie

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Sally said...

You are going to LOVE the new kitchen, but wow what a lot of work with those bricks. I love brick, yet I can see what you mean! Are you talking about "granite" for the new counter tops? That's all I can think of at the moment although there are so many other new kinds out there that we didn't have back in the golden oldies.

Love your new glasses, and the plants are so beautiful!!

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Hi Junie,
All that hard work in the kitchen will look really nice when it's done.
Love your crepe myrtles!
xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home