Junie's Place: Two Striped Walking Stick!

Monday, September 08, 2008

Two Striped Walking Stick!

common name: twostriped walkingstick
scientific name: Anisomorpha buprestoides (Stoll) (Insecta: Phasmatodea: Pseudophasmatidae)



Today I spied these strange critters in a bird house in our side yard. I have seen some of these guys around before but not in this setting. They have usually been on bushes or tree limbs, when I have seen them before.

After looking them up I can only say, " I'm happy my camera is equipped with a good zoom!" Read about this 'bug' here!


~~~

One would think that the least they could do - living rent free in that house - would be to keep the dwelling in good repair!! Just look at the dilapidated condition of that roof...and that doorway isn't too inviting either!!

....But after reading about them I decided to just let them be!

:(




Junie Rose

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 4:26 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Gosh, Junie. You could go blind if several of them squirted you in the eye. Better not get too close. I would spray those things with some kind of bug killer.

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Margie's Musings said...

I thought they were harmless and actually a good bug.

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Judy,


I never thought of then as dangerous but they can be, apparently!

Still, I think I will just let them be-since they are in an out of the way place in the yard!


Thanks,


Junie

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Margie,

I'm glad I read about them- now I know not to get too close to them.


Junie

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Sally said...

Holy cow - those things are a menace!! I don't blame you for leaving them alone. Don't think I've ever seen one. Thanks for sharing the info, Junie!!

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger dot said...

Interesting insect. When I was a kid I called them walking stick horses. Good Shot!

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I don't think we have those here but of course I've heard of them. I had no idea they would discharge a secretion if they feel threatened! When I read that link and how the guy got it in the eye, OUCH! I guess no fooling around with those bugs! lol xoxo

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger b13 said...

Maybe the bird brought it back home thinking it was a stick for its nest... and then it walked away.

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Don't think I'd wanna mess wif dem either.

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks-

all you guys and gals, for your comments.



Junie

 
At 10:31 AM , Blogger Ed said...

Check out the Phasmid Study Group website for more info.

 
At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!


I'll visit!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home