Junie's Place: About Moths!

Friday, August 29, 2008

About Moths!

While looking at the Sky Watch Friday posts I usually will scroll down and look at other posts of each new blog I visit. I figure I will like other things they post if I like their Sky pics! :)

I got a cool surprise when I checked out this post !

I was surprised because, at first glance, I thought this very flashy moth on this site was the same as the ones I had encountered here at our place and had posted about in the past. After looking closer and then comparing it to mine I realized they are not the same. However, both are an impressive sight to see! IMO

The moth (in my world) is this one! Pandora Sphinx

( scroll down the list to find it on this link )

I have written about this moth and posted some pics a couple times previously.

Just a few days ago I found another of these moths in my garage. (Dead) I made some photos of it the day I found it, but left it there.


Today, after seeing the similar moth at this other website, my interest was once again renewed and I bagged the moth for safe keeping! :)

( I collect little things of nature!)


I photographed it again to show the size.

(Sorry this picture is blurred, but you can see the size of this moth!)



Isn't it cool? :)

I think so!





Junie

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 4:54 PM , Blogger Margie's Musings said...

It sure is. I don't believe I have ever seen one before.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Judy said...

That is a big moth. Hope you have a good weekend.

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger maryt/theteach said...

All I can say, Junie, is WOW! :)

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Huge! Going over to check out that other site!! Hope you have a Wonderful weekend sweetie!hughugs

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I find beautiful moths on my poison moon flower at night. I need to photograph them. Love your moth pictures...I haven't seen one like yours.
Sandy

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

They are big but so beautiful! I posted a picture of one (back in 2006) that almost looks like that first link you gave, but after comparing them there is a slight difference, but not too much.

We get some of those great big green ones at the outside light. If the cats manage to catch them they don't last long unfortunately.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Sally said...

Goodness, Junie, I don't think I've ever seen one quite that big either. Or perhaps, it's because I shoo them out if I ever see one in the house - I think there's an old wives tale about them, and you know I don't take chances. hahaha Just kidding!!

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger dot said...

Wow, that's an impressive moth! I haven't noticed many around here.

 
At 8:10 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi came across your blog through Judy, most interesting to say the least and will certainly return. That moth was huge.
Have a nice day.


YVONNE

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Yvonne,

Thanks for stopping by and I DO hope you will come again!

Yes- that moth was interesting to me!

LOL- if you read me you'll notice I go with whatever strikes my fancy on any given day on my blog!

Oh! Also-I see you are interested in poetry and might like reading some of my poems on my poem blog!

http://just-poems-from-june.blogspot.com/

Junie

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Sandy,

I wish you would photograph those Moon Flowers-AND your moths! I had Moon Flower vines many years ago! Wish I still had some of them!



Junie

 
At 8:06 PM , Blogger Donna said...

OH! I remember now Junie!! Thank You! See that wing span? At Least 3 inches!!! I wonder if I could have picked it up...no, guess not...that disturbs the dust on their wings doesn't it...Wow! Cool shot though! I think they Must be related!!
Thanks for the repost Miz Junie!!
hughughugs

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Donna,


:) Yes-they are a lot alike-and if you search out that link you might find yours there.

As for picking them up...Charles once found one at night in Wal-Mart parking lot - so he picked it up and brought it to me in a paper bag! :)
That was the gold colored one I mentioned. It was fine after being picked up! (I think I blogged about that too! :) )

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home