Junie's Place: Sick as a Dog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sick as a Dog


Sick as a dog!


Have you heard that expression? Sure you have!

Well... it's what's been going through my mind all day because I think it fits me well today! I mean-I am just plain sick, SICK with this cold or flu or whatever the heck it is! Sick as a dog sounds just about right!

Since the phrase wouldn't leave me alone I went searching on the origin of this old adage.

I asked Charles first, as he often surprises me with all the obscure things he knows....but he said he had always heard it said as "Sick as a mule!" Well, it's not a mule I'm sick as- (I may be stubborn as a mule) it's a DOG!! THAT'S what keeps going round and round in my head..."Sick as a dog!"


So I had to keep searching...


There are lots of sites that touch on this but none are really concise in the explanations. Oh, well...I give you this from one site I read.


" There are several expressions of the form sick as a ..., that date from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Sick as a dog is actually the oldest of them, recorded from 1705; it is probably no more than an attempt to give force to a strongly worded statement of physical unhappiness. It was attached to a dog, I would guess, because dogs often seem to have been linked to things considered unpleasant or undesirable; down the years they have had an incredibly bad press, linguistically speaking (think of dog tired, dog in the manger, dog’s breakfast, go to the dogs, dog Latin — big dictionaries have long entries about all the ways that dog has been used in a negative sense)."

Go here to read more


Bothersome thought, too...all the really sick-SICK dogs I've known have eventually died-and often with the decision being made for them! :(

Hey-I'm just sick of being SICK! Seems like it's been a month but I guess it hasn't actually been that long!

( wish I was tough as nails but I not)

~~~

Hope to be "Fit as a Fiddle" soon...THAT has a good ring to it...though I'm not too sure of exactly what it means...I'll ask Charles!


Junie
(the wimp)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 5:51 PM , Blogger tamitch1943 said...

Well hell, sorry to hear you're sick. I hope you are "fit as a fiddle" soon. Looking forward some music Thursday, no fiddle I guess.
:)

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I echo your sentiments.

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Tommy,

Is it Thursday our UBb plays? In Ocala again? Yah- have to get 'fit as a fiddle' for that! :)


Junie Rose

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks AC,

Was thinking since you're that Fiddle guy you might know the origin of the 'Fit as a Fiddle.'saying. Do you?


As for me...maybe I'm just 'too high strung' to deal well with being sick! :)


Junie

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

You're not being a wimp, it's just no fun being sick. Get rid of that dog soon!!!! lol I always find it so interesting to find out where a certain saying originates from. Take care of YOU dear Junie. xoxo

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

I agree with Pea, and I do hope you feel much much better tomorrow!

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, my sweet girlfriends!

Off to sleep now with a positive outlook for tomorrow! After all-I have a bunch of rose bushes to try and get back in shape!! Hoping- at least here in Fl.- that the worst of our cold weather is past!!

goodnight,


Love,

Junie

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Donna said...

Just been a weird Winter! Hope you feel better Soon Junie!!
hughugs

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Here is another one Junie! Hope you will be 'right as rain' very soon!!!

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Thanks Ladies.

Yes, Mary, I've heard that one! :)

...and I'm getting there...


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home