Junie's Place: Having a bad day...so far...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Having a bad day...so far...

....and I'll tell you why!



First off... I awoke feeling awful, with this cold that has been hanging on for days and days; renewed in it's intensity about 100%
!

I drag myself out of bed (2 hours earlier than usual) and go to put on my robe over my PJs. As I was pulling it together, what did I spy, on the inside, crawling up from the hem??? Yep -you got it- a spider-a BIG, mean and ugly spider! I got out of that robe in a flash-dropped it but quickly picked it up again to look for the spider. It had gone (under my bed??) and I'm left wondering if I imagined seeing it. I DO hope so because I will eventually have to sleep again in that bed!

After finding another warm robe , and checking for spiders, I make my way out to the kitchen; hoping to find the coffee made. No such luck on this hapless day...as my husband is sleeping in front of the TV in his den.

Oh well- first I need to put the cats out. Only Lucy is normally indoors overnight-and the others sleep on the back porch...but with this extremely cold weather we've had I often let the 3 of them come in at night. They were all ready and eager to go out and face the cold morning.

I had settled down with my first cup of coffee a little bit later. I happened to glance at the sliding door that goes out to the porch and there sits my little Lucy! OK-at first I thought because of the cold she had got her fill of the outdoors quickly. As I was going to let her in I was able to get a better look...and there she was- wanting to offer me another gift of a dead bird! :( Made me very sad-and MAD at Lucy! You'd think the Meow Mix I always have ready for her would be enough!!

There was nothing I could do as the little bird was not moving and there was no chance of rescuing it...but I darn sure wasn't about to let that cat in right at that moment! I didn't watch any longer!

Some might say I should confine my cats to the house-at all times. It's not possible for us to do that for a lot of reasons. It's the natural order of things so, as upsetting as it can be at times, I realize I can't save the world -or even the birds and lizards that my cats catch...(not to mention the Hawks that get many more than my cats do!) It's in the Plan- nature is designed that way.

Nevertheless I am STILL not in a very good mood with Miss Lucy...but I will get over it!


My cats:

Lucy and Tiger
and
General Tommy Franks





Our temps were again in the high 20s overnight and everything was frosty when I first got up! It's depressing with all our plants brown and dead looking. Not sure how much will revive at all...if and when this winter weather gets over! Many of our citrus trees are hurt bad- if not totally DEAD!

Our place after the freezes:

Orange trees are badly damaged, with fruit dropping and some still hanging on but ruined

The green grass is Rye grass , a winter grass that my husband sowed-so we'd have some green. The brown you see in back would be the way our yard would look without the Rye grass.

Dead fern all around the fish pond...

Roses will come back but are pitiful right now!

(Click on pics to enlarge)











Thank God for the Camellias! They are a winter flower here and our bushes are very tall ( maybe 10 ft) and loaded with blooms! Our colors are red and light pink (the big bushes) and we have 2 small bushes with white blooms!
Only cheerful thing about this long, cold winter!!















If I can beat this cold I figure I might have a chance of making it to Spring!



SO....How is your day going-so far?? :)




Junie Rose

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 4:33 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks Sally,

...And I feel like a wimp to complain
when my problems are so much smaller than some (your family, for example)
...but I just can't help it sometimes. This cold weather-and being sick with this bad COLD has got me down!

It will get better!!

Hope things are going ok with you and your girls...Britt has been thru so much...I think about you all every day!


Hugs)))


Junie

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Poor Lucy is just doing what comes naturally, and while I'm all for keeping your cats indoors, I have found that it's not easy to change a cat from an outdoor one to an indoor one.

Hope you feel better soon. I can sympathize because I have my second ear infection in two months. Sigh.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Ahhhhh! Sorry Sweetie, but Miss Lucy Loves you! She knew you hadn't had breakfast yet and was bringing it to you! I kid you Not!
My Kiki use to do that and I'd get So angry until Hubby figured it out! Nothing like a mouse for breakfast...Hahaaaa...She'd lay it beside me and wait...
hughugs

 
At 8:07 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi AC,

So sorry to hear that you, too. are not well. Ear infections are terrible and I hope you're better soon. ( and -me too!!)

As for the cats...I'm sure you're right that it's best to keep them indoors...but they do enjoy the outdoors so much...and being able to lead a cat's kind of life.It sort of balances out(in my mind anyway) and I've had indoor/outdoor cats live to be very old- like nearly 20 years! Of course I always have them inside in any kind of bad weather.


Junie

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

lol- yes-I know you're right Donna....We've had cats do this before.

I just ignored her after I saw the little bird was lost...so I don't know what she did with it.

I know it's a natural thing for cats...they are hunters...and who am I to argue with God's design? LOL--and loving their 'humans' they want to share!

Lol-I'm not mad at my Lucy. The 3 of them will be in again overnight. (I'm soooo sick of this cold weather!!!)


Hugs))


Junie

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Junie! I'm sorry you are feeling bad and I hope the nasty cold leaves and you get better fast!

I hate it when my cats kill the birds, chipmunks, and lizards, but like you said, it's the natural order of things. I lecture mine not to bother them, but they don't listen. :)

The rye grass is so pretty! It's a shame the poor orange trees have damaged fruit. This winter has been rough all over it seems. But spring will be here soon.

Your camellia's are beautiful!

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Rachel,

So good to hear from you! Hope you are doing well.

Yes, the bad cold has really had me in it's grip for several days now- and I'm just trying to grt through it.

...Spring will come for us all- you're right...It has just been such an unusual winter -all over the country!

I'll visit you soon.



Junie

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The weather has you down. The cold has you down. Just looking at the damage has you down. But don't give up all will be better soon.

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

It's been a long winter for a lot of us and I think we're all ready to have Spring arrive!! I hope you feel better soon, dear Junie, no fun feeling yucky like that. Your poor fruit trees, I can see from the pictures how much they've been affected by the frost. It's just been such a weird winter all around!!

Lucy is just doing what cats do naturally but I know how much it bothers us when cats kill birds for the "fun of it"!! We still have two strays around here and just this morning I saw them at the shed watching the birds...I knocked on the window to scare them off, darn things! lol xoxo

 
At 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun it was to come ove here to visit and hear my husband and my 'song', Dan Fogelsberg's "Longer". Here after you commented on our anniversary hehe. Love your kitties. We've got a little monster that keeps us on our toes, Oliver. you're lucky to have some flowers and green where you live, snow and brown around these parts. ~Jeanne

 
At 10:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Junie, Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I enjoyed seeing your photos and your cats are so pretty. I would have run into something and hurt myself if I saw that spider. I am terrified of them. Great picture of you in the sidebar. Hope you feel much better soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home