Junie's Place: Today's Flowers~ Jan 13, 2011 ~ Christmas Flowers

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Today's Flowers~ Jan 13, 2011 ~ Christmas Flowers

***



*

Every Christmas season I buy several Poinsettia plants.

 
  The dark reds are my favorites but I usually add some white ones also. Sometimes you can buy them in pretty shades of pink but this time I only had the red and white!


When we lived in Miami I had lots of these plants growing  in our yard. Oh, what a beautiful display they made!  I miss that!

We are a little too far north here for these plants to thrive for long, though one year I did have some grow and bloom nicely. Recent winters have been too cold...and if they reach the blooming stage -which they usually do- a freeze is sure to zap them...as it did in 2009 AND this past season, too!

This bloom somehow escaped the freeze this time!

(I cover the plants when possible)



I end up buying more plants every year-for decorating the house-and then plant them in the yard, come spring!


(picture with antique finish)
I don't give up easily...and in the early spring - all things seem possible!

Junie

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The only time I have ever seen these plants growing outside was when we visited California. I thought they were beautiful but knew I could never grow them here.

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger Sally said...

Junie Rose, my sweet friend; those are lovely but my gosh that last photo is AWESOME!! ((hugs))

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It must have been really nice to have them blooming in your hard. It almost boggles this northerner's mind.

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger Carletta said...

I have a straggly one from last year. I can't keep them growing well. My brother gave me a white one this year and it's harder to keep for some reason.
Lovely processing on the last one!

Aren't you early for Today's Flowers? :)

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

LOL-Carletta-I couldn't remember what day this meme is on but Linky was open so I thought I was at the right time!! Oh well!! Guess This went in for the last weeks posts-haha

Hey! I wouldn't be Junie if I didn't mess up now and then!! :)

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, All, for looking!

These have always been a big part of my Christmas!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home