Junie's Place: ~My Poinsettias-after the freeze~

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

~My Poinsettias-after the freeze~

~~~


NOTE: 
I was doing this post for Ruby Tuesday but when I went to link up to that blog- (Mary the Teach at Work of the Poet)- she announced there that she's ending the weekly Meme of Ruby Tuesday!
:(
~~~
I had my RT post ready so I will go ahead with it anyway!
~~ 
As I have mentioned before, we are a little too far north in Fl for Poinsettias to make it through the cold we are sure to get...

Although the plants usually do make it, the freezing temps are sure to come when the plant is at it's most beautiful stage with the showy flowers in bloom, and the flowers are instantly zapped by the freezing temps!

The aim we have and the best we can hope for is to have our flowers in bloom at Christmas.
I accomplished that with a few bushes around our place and especially this one that I had planted last year in our front courtyard.
(shown in a previous post)

Last night's freezing temps ended it's glorious display  for this year...

Well, not completely. Notice in the picture the one flower not affected. It's on the same bush with the others that are hanging limp and wasted.  It's in the front, too, and not in a protected place at all.

That is weird and I don't understand...
But I'm not complaining.  I'll enjoy looking at it a little while longer!






Junie

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

Well all I can say is that that poinsettia is one tough cookie....errr I mean flower! hehe I guess the frost wasn't able to get to it like it did the others. What a shame the frost killed off the others, though. I still have my poinsettia plant from 2 years ago but it didn't get the red leaves this year. Watch them turn red in the middle of summer! lol Oh and by the way, it's an inside plant...it would never survive outside in our frigid temps. It's 24F here this morning, much better than the -4F it was two mornings ago!! Brrr! xoxo

 
At 11:27 AM , Anonymous momma said...

The survival is a mystery but just be happy that you can enjoy it's beauty a bit longer!!!

 
At 11:32 AM , Blogger Donna said...

I always cover them with an old sheet. Also make sure you water them right before the freeze.
Happy weekend!
hughugs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home