Junie's Place: Nick Names

Friday, January 20, 2006

Nick Names

I was just thinking of all the names I've been called over the years...

WAIT!! I don't mean THOSE kind of names- just the fun - nicks that most of us pick up along this long road of life.

'JunieRose' is my most recent one. I used it posting to blogs here, awhile before I decided to open my own blog site! 'June', of course, is my real name (my middle name) and I added ROSE because I LOVE roses!

As a child my MOM called me 'JuneBug', not surprisingly! My little sister called me 'SISTY' for many years!

My Daddy had a hard time giving up the name they first used for me...'Laquita'...a name my Mom, with her romantic nature, found in a book she read! It was a name I HATED as a child. (because nobody else was named that...and besides- no one even knew how to pronounce it properly!) When I started school I insisted on being 'June!'

'Juniper'was given to me by an online friend over 3 years ago...(June was taken a little further- if you can follow the logic! :) ) I rather liked the sound so started using it as my SCREEN name! It has served me well! This same friend is BIG on nicks and now, mostly calls me Gator! (because I live in Florida) I have been
'Queen Juniper' or 'QJ' to some friends on a message board I visit - also 'JB' by one friend (short for June Bug) and - 'Kiddo' lol- Maybe this a putdown because of my ADVANCED YEARS! :)

Early in my marriage My husband called me many different names- 'LJ'(my initials)
'Mama Goose' (I hope not because he saw me as a SILLY goose- but just the MAMA of the house)... & 'MOSE GOOSE' - who knows why!!...and often just 'MAMA!'

In our family circle - grown kids - grandkids - sons-in-law even friends of our kids etc- and often by extended members of both sides of our family- I am 'Ginga' and my husband is 'Gabbo!'
These names were given to my husband and me by our first grandson! We wanted to be Granddaddy and Granny but our Dan decided for himself what he wanted to call us!
SO- of course, that is who we became. (for these past 20+ years)

I was 'Ginga,' online, too, for awhile....but have been 'Juniper' for the past 3 years! And now,'Junie Rose!' I feel comfortable with those names!

The family (grands ) these days, mostly call me 'Ging' and my husband'Gab!'


SO- if I sometimes seem confused in my ramblings here...

could it be that I am still searching for The Real Me?

J.

5 Comments:

At 11:42 PM , Blogger Hale McKay said...

Which means we will be confused just who we are reading? Hello. I am here via Peter who advised us to check you out. I like it, whoever you really are. The only June I ever knew hated her nickname - April, May and June. i will spare you and not use it for you.
...So far, I am thinking you will soon be on my blogroll.

 
At 12:12 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Hale Mckay,

Nah-don't worry! I'm JunieRose forever more...or until I stop blogging - whichever comes first!


So good to have you visit - and so good of Peter to send you! :)

I'll check you out too! Am wondering about that hammer and nail..:)

Junie

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

I do like stories about how things came to be. Our first granddaughter named us Granna and Pop pop and that stuck when all the rest came along. Working with youth in church many years is how I got to be Mr. Eddie and that is what I use on my blog as well as in my email address. ec

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mr . Eddie- or should I say Pop Pop,
thanks for sharing!
:)

Junie
aka

Ginga

 
At 9:30 PM , Blogger Peter said...

Hi June, I never got burdened with nicknames, except the obvious ones, Pete, Holtie (thus the name of my site) Dad and Grandpa were, and are, favourites (Australian/English spelling.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home