Junie's Place: Valentine's Day of the past

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day of the past


...a little story...




Valentine’s Day of the past


I find myself remembering how it was for me as a child, the shy and overly sensitive girl I was –well, always - and still am to this day.

This Valentine’s Day just passed has made me remember another one that was a little upsetting to me. Not uncommon for me in those days! :) I can smile now –but then- it was a real hurtful feeling!

As was the way in our school we had a fancy box, decorated with frilly crepe paper and cut out hearts. In this box, with a cut out slit in the top, the students could drop Valentine cards in for other classmates. At the end of the day we had a little party, with cup cakes and punch, and the teacher opened the box and passed out the cards.

I was relieved that I had a small stack of cards in envelopes, when the passing out of cards was over. I was afraid I wouldn’t get any, as I was new to the school; having transferred to this school a few weeks after the term had started. Making friends had never been easy for me, due to my extreme shyness, mostly.The fact that we moved a lot made it harder.

The bell rang, ending the school day before we had a chance to open all of our cards. On the walk home I was happily going through my several cards, feeling good that I hadn’t been left out. :)

The good feeling ended, abruptly, when I opened the last card to find an empty envelope. I felt someone had played a mean trick on me and wondered who among my classmates would want to do such a thing …to give me an empty envelope! Tears came easy to me in those early years… but I fought them and continued my walk home. It crossed my mind the trickster might be watching, as several kids walked along the route I took home.

At home, instead of just throwing the empty envelope away, I examined it again. To my surprise I found the little Valentine was there, after all, but turned facing the back of the envelope, giving the appearance of being empty!

Funny -the things we remember from our childhoods… but not so funny the very real hurts and insecurities children go through! They are real at the time!

This photo is ME at that time! Grade 5 ! 1953 -I was age 11.


Ahh - but since then I have had many, many Happy Valentine’s Days! :)

Junie

9 Comments:

At 5:42 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Junie, what a touching and beautiful memory. Thanks for sharing it with us. The picture of you is just beautiful...you were adorable, even back then.

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Joy, I was always PAINFULLY shy- as a child and even into adulthood.

LOL- Blogging is good for me!

Thanks for reading my posts.

Junie

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger Merle said...

June ~~ It is a pleasure to read your posts and see the lovely photos you post. I am sorry you were so shy as a child. Both Peter and I were also shy as kids. We've changed !!
Blogging is a great interest for
all of us and helps our lives
immensely. Love your poems too.

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Peter said...

Don't believe everything my sister tells you June, I'm still very shy!!!!

 
At 8:57 AM , Blogger Skye said...

What a sweet story, June, and what a cutie you were!! :) I was also painfully shy as a child, and still am quite shy, though the demands of adulthood and parenthood have forced me to ignore that and talk to people anyway.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks to you all for posting...

I wonder if we are all drawn to the internet...message boards-blogging and other online contacts with people
because of our shyness. Well, not ALL, I'm sure, but it seems to be a common trait among many ppl I have come to know online.

It seems to help ME to be able to interact with people this way.

June

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

Not only was I shy but felt that I wasn't quite as good as everyone else - from growing up poor, I guess. It took me a while, but God taught me to really enjoy who I was, warts and all. :) Great story! ec

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

That was part of my situation too. If you've read any of my 'About Mom' blog you know I was very poor growing up!

...in a way tho, I don't feel I've missed anything -as I found enjoyment in all God had to offer us in this beautiful world of ours

My mom was deaf from a young age but I never knew anyone who appreciated life more than she did...
never knew a better person than she was either!

 
At 2:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home