Junie's Place: Cold Night

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cold Night

Tonight is COLD and I need to be sleeping , as I will have to get up for an early doctor's appt. tomorrow. Just a routine visit - lab work, etc!
Have to be there at 8:00...and that's usually my Getting Up time! So I'd better make my going to bed time-soon!

I have spent the whole day doing nothing useful! The only real pleasure in the day was watching the birds dining outside my window- early this morning!


Watching the birds always brings thoughts of Mom. She loved all things of nature- especially birds.



...and too, I think of this poem by Emily Dickinson

(Seems I've known this poem forever. Mom must have read it to us when we were very young.)


A Bird Came Down the Walk
By Emily Dickinson


A bird came down the walk:
He did not know I saw;
He bit an angle-worm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw.

And then he drank a dew
From a convenient grass,
And then hopped sidewise to the wall
To let a beetle pass.

He glanced with rapid eyes
That hurried all abroad,--
They looked like frightened beads, I thought;
He stirred his velvet head

Like one in danger;
cautious, I offered him a crumb,
And he unrolled his feathers
And rowed him softer home

Than oars divide the ocean,
Too silver for a seam,
Or butterflies, off banks of noon,
Leap, splashless, as they swim.


Junie

5 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Blogger Peter said...

Three posts without pictures June, you'll be having withdrawal symptoms soon.
nice poem again.

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Peter said...

Congrats, I see you have started your blogroll.

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Lol- not to worry, Peter- more pics to come! and , yes, I always liked that Emily Dickinson poem, too.

Yes, my son-in-law showed me how to do the blog roll links- still have more to do

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger mreddie said...

It is cold here in Tennessee as well, it has snowed some for the last three days. Just about the time the ground is covered, it either quits or warms up and all of it melts away. Daughter is doing well with her rehab and her range of motion is improving every day. Hope to get back to S.C. on Saturday. ec

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

So happy to hear your daughter is doing well with the rehab. I'm sure it's appreciated-having you there to help out.

...about that snow... :) after seeing pics of NYC this past couple days, makes me realize how good we have it here in the south

June

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home