Junie's Place: Buddy Holly

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Buddy Holly



Buddy Holly



Yesterday, on my shopping outing at Wal-Mart, I was perusing the CD section as I usually do when given the chance. To my delight, a CD caught my eye that I just had to buy. It’s ‘The Best of Buddy Holly’, 20th Century masters -The millennium collection.

I had been wishing to find a CD of Buddy Holly for some time. His great songs were favorites of mine in the late 50s - until his untimely death in a plane crash in Feb. 1959.
I had often heard in music discussions of The Beatles having been influenced by Holly’s music. Myself, not being much into the music scene over the years, had never given it much consideration.

Last night I was engaged in a ‘Music Fest’ of sorts! I, first, listened to Buddy Holly (which I had done twice, earlier in the afternoon!) His songs are timeless - as fresh and enjoyable now as they were way back in my youth! Not having any of his music I had not heard much of Holly, except for the occasional song on the radio, for a long time! What a treat it was, getting into his music again!

In the late 50s, Buddy Holly was taking the first tentative steps in turning the music world in a slightly different direction. He was writing his own songs and insisted on doing things his way when it came to recording and producing the albums.

One of my favorites of this collection is ‘Words of Love’ and I remembered that The Beatles had used this Buddy Holly song on an early album. After finishing the Holly CD I just had to dig out the Beatles, ‘Beatles For Sale,’ and play it to compare.

Indeed, you can get a sense of the influence Buddy Holly had in the early Beatles’ music!
Of course, The Beatles would take it much further; but who can deny that it was Buddy Holly who was the beginning of the Rock and Roll that evolved in the 60s?

‘What ifs’ will continue to be out there… about Holly. All we can know is that he gave us a tremendous gift of music, in less than three years in the business!
Amazing!


So-I had a very special night of music listening last night!

Music!
One of life’s greatest joys!
And having a friend to share it with, doubles the pleasure! :)


Go here for more on Buddy Holly:

http://www.answers.com/topic/buddy-holly

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 2:01 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Well Junie..."Music, one of life's greatest joys." We are SO on the same page...and Buddy Holly at that. I love his music; and how ironic that my daughter and I were talking about him a couple of days ago. I think we have some vibes going on between us. It wouldn't be the first time...huh?

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

(smile)

It is a little amazing - these vibes!

Thanks!

Junie

 
At 2:51 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

The Buddy Holly sound was a good one that I appreciated back then and I remember feeling somewhat of a personal loss when he was killed in the plane crash with The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens. The Everly Brothers were my personal favorite and I still have record albums of them. ec

 
At 3:30 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

EC,

YES! The Everlys were very good!
I liked them a lot, too, and STILL love to hear them, now and then!

;) Thanks for reading my WANDERING posts!
...Never know where I might be goin' from day to day!

June

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

How wonderful that you found that CD. I'm glad the music took you back in time and probably brought back pleasant memories. It sounds like it put a hop in your step!!

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

memories. It sounds like it put a hop in your step!!<<<


:) yes! It did that for me!

Junie

 
At 12:32 AM , Blogger Hale McKay said...

Buddy Holly was one of the greats. He doesn't get enough accolades.
...I too remember the sadness at the news of his death - so long ago.

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

H.M.

I have heard it said that if not for Buddy Holly there MIGHT have never been The Beatles - as they were so influenced by his music!

I say, if he had lived, he would have overshadowed any new group that came along!!

Sad...and none of our speculations matter at all!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home