Junie's Place: Saturday Ride-Aug12,'06

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday Ride-Aug12,'06


We went for a short ride today.
Had a southern, country, breakfast of eggs, GRITS, sausage, bacon, biscuits...all the goodies you can imagine! Yummy!








Then we went on to our town square.
This square has been the spot for many of our fun times over the years- especially during the holiday season! There's the annual Christmas parade and lighting up Ocala night which we seldom have missed! There have been fall festivals- music shows on the gazebo-antique shows-motorcycle shows...political rallies... Antique car shows-Antique doll shows...Girl scout and boy scout parades!! :)

For several years we have even had an indoor 'Ice Skating Rink' set up adjoining the town square, during the holiday season. This , of course, is a big hit with these local Florida kids! :) Alli has had her birthday party there 3 times, I believe! (her birthday is the day after Christmas!)

I made a few photos of the Art Horses that are there and the gazebo!
The city has managed to save and restore a few of the old buildings!
( which are quickly vanishing from our small towns)
New buildings never have the charm of the old ones! IMHO



Our last stop was by a lake where we saw some wild ducks and a water bird who I do not know! He was quite handsome so I got his picture!













Junie

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 6:07 PM , Blogger TJ said...

I would have loved your breakfast (all but the grits~~give me hashbrowns or fried potatoes instead!)
I loved the horsies!!!
:-D

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Tammy,

Those horses are all beautiful! Our town square has 5 of the original 50+ horses that were created!
I have posted some pics in earlier posts, too!

There's lots of info...just search out - Horse Fever-Ocala, Florida if interested!

Here's one site:


http://www.equiworld.net/uk/ezine/0202/horsefever.htm

 
At 11:56 PM , Blogger Skye said...

That may be a heron, Junie. We have one at our duck lake around here, though ours is white. I think they are quite attractive birds. They don't eat breadcrumbs like the ducks, though! :)

 
At 12:07 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Skye,

Well, whatever- I thought it was a very attractive bird! I'll try to do some research on it.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Junie

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye,

From what I found searching the web- this bird looks like pictures of the Comerant.


Go Here:

http://www.tssphoto.com/directory/80000/181512.html


Junie

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Skye said...

Yeah, that looks like the same bird all right!

Here's a picture of a heron, which is what we have at our park. They are both beautiful birds!

http://www.friendsofislandbeach.com/WEB_Photos/Heron.jpg

 
At 12:58 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Love those painted horses! The bird is gorgeous too! I've never heard of a Comerant...

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Sue,

Ah,yes! Those horses were a big thing for our little town!

They were all very beautiful. They were on display around our town and surrounding areas for several months before being auctioned off! Many were bought by businesses and individuals in and around our town...so, in addition to the ones in our downtown area we occasionally come across others, too! I have posted several others in earlier blogs!
I have a big poster with all of the horses on them- PLUS- when they were on display , Chas and I went arount to MOST of the locations and got our own photos!

:) I liked that shot of the bird, too! Wasn't sure what it was but I THINK I tracked him down!

Junie

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye, That website didn't work for me- :( sorry

Junie

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Skye said...

Rats. Oh well! It looked just like the picture of the heron you have on your next blog post up there! :)

 
At 6:02 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Those Blue Herons are very pretty birds- and they are TALL- have long legs!

:) I don't know much about any of these water birds-until I go looking them up on the web!

Funny- with those 2 pics (on my next bird blog up) I was able to get quite close to them...especially the Egret! Didn't have to zoom in at all, as I recall!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home