Junie's Place: Visit from the 'Grands.'

Friday, May 25, 2007

Visit from the 'Grands.'

Today has been a lazy day . I did NO yard work or ANY kind of work - truth be told- but that's ok!

Zach came up yesterday from Orlando to see his cousins and his aunt Tina and stayed the night at their house. This afternoon Tina and Alli came up and Zach came up in his car! Zach stayed and we had hamburgers on the grill. He'll have to be leaving soon for home!

It was good having him here, as well as Tina and Alli, for a few hours. Zach and Alli like to get into our old home movies of when they were all little and spending time here on the farm! It's all fun to watch- but a bit sad too!
Life IS bittersweet!

Zach just called me in awhile ago to see a fun one he had come across! It was the Christmas that I decided to try to tame and bring some sort of control to our opening of presents! I brought a basket in and announced that we would each open our presents ( one at a time) and FOLD our wrapping paper and put it in the basket! This was met with loud laughter all around...all caught on tape! :) If I could get that on a Youtube clip I'd post it here!

You lucky folks....I don't know how to do that! heehee

We also viewed 'Spike's Funeral' today! Spike was Zach's Hamster who died in 1997...Zach insisted he wanted Spike buried on the Farm, so it was necessary to keep the body frozen until they could make the trip up here from Orlando- a week later.

Charles narrated and filmed the whole event. The funeral service was very dignified...with those who wished, saying a few words of remembrance in Spike's honor!
I could only say that I hadn't known Spike that well... (That fact did not keep me from being misty-eyed through the whole service and doing a lot of patting my grandson's back!) Others knew him better and stories were told of many fun times shared with Spike.

At last Spike, still frosty, was covered with wildflowers from the meadow . At this point Zach sent his little cousin, Alli, into the house for one thing he had forgotten to bring out! It was a picture of Zach and Alli. This picture was tucked in among the flowers and the box lid was closed for the final time.

Zach, brave boy that he was, shoveled the dirt in himself. I think he felt it was a duty he had to fulfill!

Today the kids found the whole thing humorous. But it was sad at the time...even tho we played the event up. Still, I knew it was sad for Zach!

When it came time for Zach's family to leave for home that 1997 day- no one knew where Zach had gotten off to-since he knew they were almost ready to go!...I found him at Spike's grave site-taping his recent school picture to the wooden marker Charles (Gabbo) had made for the grave!

It's such a sweet video- bittersweet memories for us!

Here is a picture taken today of my 2 youngest grand kids - Zach and Alli!

***Tina is doing well.***

Love,

Junie


Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 10:06 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I remember how much I use to love watching the old home movies over and over again. I was given my dad's movie camera and all the 8mm reels, as well as the projector after he passed away...the light in the projector blew out and we can't find a replacement for it so haven't been able to watch the movies. I'm going to enquire as to how much it would cost to have those reels put on video tape or cd!! Such a wonderful picture of Zach and Alli...they look like fun kids:-) xox

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Ours are videos but I would like them all transferred to DVDs.

It's so much fun watching the early ones ...jst the grandkids-I don't have any of my kids at all!


Love,

Junie

 
At 11:54 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Very cute kids!

Spike the hamster has been living high on the hog in hamster heaven.

 
At 2:01 AM , Blogger wazza said...

Gidday Junie,
Videos are easily transferred to DVD especially if you have a DVD recorder. All you have to do is connect your video to the DVD press play on the video & record on the DVD and volia it's all done.

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger Judypatooote said...

Hi Junie....that is a cute story.... it brought back a memory of one of my daughters, Lori I think, had a fairly large fish, and it died, they had a service, like your kids, and then later that day, she dug it up to see if it was still dead....Kid's are precious....I should haul out my movies....it is fun to watch, especially when you have one baby laying on the floor, baby can't talk, all you hear is me blabbering in the background to the baby... it is a new born baby... when i say on the floor, it is a carpeted floor, with blanket.....and at that point baby can't do anything but move it's hands.....and I took at least 30 min. of that..... but it was a granddaughter..... LOL

 
At 8:01 AM , Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Junie ~ Cute picture of the grandkids... too bad about the hamster though. ~ jb///

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Always good to hear about your family visits Junie. We love looking at old movies and pictures too. Glad to see that Tina came up and that she is going okay.

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Wazza

Thanks for the info-and my son has promised to help me as soon as he has the time.

What I want to do is make short clips of some of them-maybe we can figure it all out.

Hey-thanks for coming by. I appreciate it.

Junie


Junie

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

JB,

Thanks for visiting!

Yep- they're cute kids- just about grown up- :( ...And I miss the old days!

 
At 5:59 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Jamie Dawn,

Thanks!

Well, Spike has been gone for a long time now- but seeing that video brought it all back!

Junie

 
At 6:03 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Judy,

Yes- kids are so sweet in their innocence!

What you dscribe with your baby is exactly how I was too! :) Those were great days, eh!!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home