Junie's Place: Meanwhile- back at the ranch.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Meanwhile- back at the ranch.


Meanwhile - back at the ranch...


I had determined, sometime back, that I am not cut out to be a farmer/rancher wife!
And the events of yesterday went far in proving this...beyond a reasonable doubt, I'd say!

OK~ I am very, very saddened by the way things have turned here. I should have seen it coming. (I think I did, but I didn't yet want to face it)

The buying of the new, purebred, cows has sealed the fate of the old herd... YES! All of them...even Carmel and Jazzy! I was promised they would stay....but there has been a change of plans...and , in fact, all but 3 or 4 of the cows are now gone to the auction!

As it turned out the new cows were much too intimidating to the older, smaller cows and they (the old cows) were being deprived of their feedings of hay - and just "running scared," as Charles put it!

No one was happy!

I KNOW they are just dumb cows. I KNOW they are raised just for (or mainly for) this purpose... yes, I do !

I KNOW too, that Carmel is past breeding age so it stands to reason she would have gone -
regardless of the inserting of the new cows into the herd! Poor Carmel didn't stand a chance...first in being one of the old herd...but most important - being old and not able to add anything anymore! No more babies!

.....BUT Carmel was the first little calf we had born...all those years ago! :(

( Lucky I wasn't born a COW or I would have been sent off years ago!! )


You DO know I hate changes - right?

And if you stop and think about it - every single day of our lives there are little things occurring that will, ultimately, bring about change! Some you might not notice for awhile...still, there are changes in the works! Some good, I suppose. Most not good- I'm almost sure!

Dang it! I just like things to stay the same!

I liked going down to the pasture to look at the beautiful cows and their babies. I liked naming the new calves....I was resigned to the fact that most of the babies would be sold after a few months...but I thought I'd always have most of the old cows there...to keep having new babies!


Another turned page here...
and being Junie Rose (more so-Ginga) I can't pretend I feel fine about this!
Indeed, I'm very sad!


~~~

Carmel
Jazzy
Janet Reno
May
Frances
Bloody Mary
Hershey
Lexie

Some pictures of my lost cows:

Jazzy - brown & white
Carmel - golden brown
Janet Reno - Black & White


















And some of the others...












~~~


Sooo? ...I'm silly but I'm still sad!

Junie
(Ginga)

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 12:38 AM , Blogger b13 said...

Poor cows. I could never bring myself to do the deed myself... but they sure are tasty :(

It is sad to raise an animal that is almost like a family member and have to see it go, knowing it's fate.

My heart goes out to you Junie.

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

hi, b13 - and thanks for coming by-and for your understanding!

...It has always been sad to see them go- especially this time with the couple that we have had such a long time. :(

Oh, well- life is sad and you just have to deal with it. (just accept it, really!)

Junie

 
At 6:24 AM , Blogger Merle said...

Hi June ~~ I am so sorry for your sadness. Try not to dwell on it and think of other things and play some music. Farm life can be very sad.
Thank you for your comments. Sorry the jokes were a bit risque, but as you say, we are all grown ups.
Take care my friend, Much love, Merle.

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks Merle,


Lots of sadness that we just have to get through- part of life!

:) Merle -I always enjoy the jokes you put on!

hugs to you))
Junie

 
At 6:42 AM , Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Junie, Sorry to see you so sad,I would hate to name an animal then see it go. were all softies at heart. Cheer up life goes on at the farm, Turn up the music... sending hugs fron oz to you...Jen

 
At 7:32 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Jeanette,

Yep- I'm , for sure, too soft hearted for my own good! LOL- but I wouldn't be 'ME' if I wasn't !

Thanks for coming by to cheer me up! :)

Junie

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger Peter said...

Hi June, things change no matter whether we want them to or not, sometimes sad sometimes glad.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Peter,

that's for sure- nothing to do but go with whatever comes around!

June

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Skye said...

Oh, Junie, I'm sorry you've had to say goodbye to all your favorite cows! Don't feel silly for being sad... I've been sad saying goodbye to a CAR before! Now THAT'S silly!! I'm glad you are you, with your soft heart, though I'm sorry for the sadness it sometimes brings you. And yes - changes are hard. Sometimes even the GOOD ones are hard! That's just the way it is for us humans. Especially us squishy-hearted ones!

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye,

Thanks!
You know, sometimes I have thought it would be a lot better-easier- not to care about things-and people- so much...seems like there would be less hurt in living.

However- I have decided the pain avoided in NOT caring would not equal the the pleasures we get from loving and caring about things and especially people.

LOL- so I will continue to put my heart on the line in my approach to life-and just expect some hurt sometimes! It's all worth it and balances out pretty well , doesn't it!


Junie

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Awwwww.... just look at those big, cow eyes.
I'm sure it was hard to let them go!!!
I'm not a fan of change either... well that is, if the changes are bad ones. Good changes I don't mind at all. Like for instance, I'd like to win several million dollars. That'd be a change I'd welcome.
:-)

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)

Yah- I could go for that kind of CHANGE too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home