Junie's Place: A Hard Day's Night...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Hard Day's Night...




OK- I know I stole that line from The Beatles....but it IS the night of a long, hard day for me! So maybe no one will mind if I use their words.

I think I have things pretty much under control now so maybe I can afford to relax and catch my breath...

If my house is lacking in some of it's former charm and spruced appearance of the past...well- it's not from my laziness but rather my 66 years catching up with me! :( ...
However - I did manage to put out some fall color for my guests...some... but not near all! The floors, vacuumed and moped , and furniture dusted! Even the poodle bathed! ( a REAL plus! That poor little girl!)

But the goodies to eat are still as abundant as ever ! :) And I guess that's what matters most with my folks!

The cakes and pies are made....the turkey is thawing nicely...the cornbread will be ready for making the stuffing early tomorrow... The beans will be snapped and ready to go! The Yams just waiting for the marshmallow topping...The banana pudding is on the plan...
everything right on schedule!

~~~

This was my poem to the family last year ~ and it still holds true!

~~~~

Our Thanksgiving


May we always be together on this special holiday.
May our turkey always be so big and lush and
stuffed with cornbread dressing (Oh! The smell!)
with lots of sage to add the crowning touch!

All the mingling smells are so enticing!
And in my eyes there’s nothing that is better
than having all my loved ones close beside me,
as we work to bring it all together.

The routine, through the years, becomes an art.
Each turkey dinner seems to top the last!
And in our minds, this time, it all is perfect!
(Oh! But we said that, also, in the past! )

As the turkey roasts, there’s time, aplenty,
to do Banana Pudding, and the rest.
The Harvest Loaf is tempting and a challenge -
to resist, (until it’s time) a test!

As we pause with one more cup of coffee…
and we marvel at our great success…
we look around at all our loved one’s faces,
and realize how very well we’re blessed.

The table’s set with all our finest pieces.
The buffet table waiting – decorated!
Last minute dishes finalized -perfected!
The turkey’s done - well worth the time we’ve waited!

June Kellum
2006





Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:44 PM , Blogger Skye said...

Don't worry, Junie! It's the company that matters most... not the decorations or even the food! Sounds like you've been really industrious today, though. I'm pretty sure you've done a lot more than I did today, and I'm exhausted! My house looks so CLEAN, though!! :) All ready to be messed up by people, dishes, and lots of yummy FOOD!

Have a happy Thanksgiving, Junie! :)

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you at your house, Skye!



Junie

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Granny said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

May today and every day be blessed with simple, quiet moments of thanksgiving!! Happy Thanksgiving to my dear American friends from across the border:-) Your poem is beautiful, dear Junie!! xoxo

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger wazza said...

Gidday Junie,

I'm spending my day (Friday 23rd, 2.15pm) responding to my fellow bloggers, altho' it's still the 22nd at your end, so may I wish you and your family and friends a enjoyable Thanksgiving. It's not celebrated here as this being a American tradition.

 
At 11:18 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hey Wazza,

Thanks so much for your greetings!
We DID have a nice day of celebration...
lots of good food! :)

 
At 11:55 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks so much, Pea.


Hugs)))


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home