Junie's Place: New Addition

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New Addition

Here's our newest addition to the farm...born just this morning!

The mom of this fine little guy is 'Cloud.' (Cloud is one of only two cows from our original herd . Charles sold all the others when he switched over to the Santa
Gertrudis cattle!)

As I have mentioned before, I sort of lost interest in the cows when he sold all (or most) of our mixed up herd; because I liked seeing how the new calves would look in the varied mix of cattle we had. I found it more interesting to have different colors and markings in our new calves as they came along! And, of course, all the Santa Gertrudis are much the same...that dark red/brown color!

Well, our 'Cloud' is still here - simply because she didn't allow herself to be corralled and hauled away with the rest on that fateful auction day awhile back!

Today she delivered this delightful boy for us! :)



Cattle are very sociable animals with each other, and any new calf is checked out thoroughly and welcomed by all! Especially the younger ones, will welcome the new babies!

Here you see our young bull, 'Rush Baby,' and another young calf, getting to know the new arrival!

I named this calf 'Pippi' because of the long stocking-like markings on all 4 legs! Yah! I know, Pippi Long Stockings was a girl but that's ok! I like that name for him! ;)














( click to enlarge )


This is an interesting old tree in the pasture. I love the way this trunk looks! It's an old Cedar or Juniper. Not sure just what it's true name is- but a Cedar type tree.









All trees fascinate me so I'm always getting pictures, where ever I go! :)


These are Pines and Live Oaks:































Enjoy your night!


Junie

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 11:53 PM , Blogger dot said...

What a cute little calf! I wonder if they will all spoil her.

 
At 1:06 AM , Blogger Carletta said...

I've been watching the calves in our neighborhood for a few weeks now. They are starting to get chunky!
I think Pippi is a perfect name.
Love the old cedar tree - the lines on the trunk are wonderful.

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The charm of a rural life.

 
At 9:13 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, guys and gals,

Oh! I enjoy the country life very much!

Yes-Carletta, that tree trunk is awesome!

...and that little calf was unique in his markings , I thought- and very healthy and frisky! He was just hours old when these pics were made!

 
At 11:07 AM , Blogger Donna said...

Ahhhhhhh.....SO Sweet Junie!!hughugs

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Sally said...

Pippi is sooo cute! A few months back, one of my cousin's MAMA's had twin calves, and the mom rejected one. He bottle fed the other one for a long time. I wonder y'all have had that happen.

Love the trees too, Junie. :)

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks,


Donna and Sally.

Pippi IS a very pretty calf-big and healthy too!

Yes, Sally, we DID have a mama reject a baby several years ago. We had to bottle feed that one for a few weeks but she made it just fine! I found it interesting that after she was turned in with the rest of the cows she got along fine with them all...EXCEPT her mother! They never liked each other! I guess Jazzy never could forgive her mom, MISTY, for the rejection! :) (true story!)

All these memories made it hard for me when Charles decided to get rid of all my old cows! Every one had a name ( that I had given her) and her own story! :(

I'm happy CLOUD was able to avoid being taken to that auction-and was able to let me have this little black and white -mixed up- calf to enjoy for a little while! :)


Junie

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger Jean said...

Adorable cow pictures! Love that they all come to see the new baby!

 
At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pipi is adorable, and I like the name just fine , suits him to a T.
Take care,
Diane

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

Awwwww what an adorable little calf...just love the name Pippi because like you, I noticed the "long stockings" on his legs! lol Makes you wish they'd always stay small like that. That truly is an interesting tree trunk!! I'm always fascinated with trees as well:-) xoxo

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger Judy said...

That calf is adorable. Pipi Longstocking was my girls favorite character when they were little. We lived on a farm back then and had cattle, too. Farm life is the greatest.

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Judy,

We've lived here in the country of North Fl for 20 years (from Miami) and have had most all kinds of farm animals. It was a lot of fun for all the grandkids, having all the animals. All the babies are cute...especially calves.

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Jean


Diane


Pea,

Thanks, all you ladies, for visiting!

Yep- Pippy suits that little calf fine- with those 4 long stockings he has on! :)


Junie

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Hi Junie,
Enjoyed seeing your newest little calf and as others have said you've named him perfectly. I also love photos of trees and you've shown such a nice variety here!
xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home