Junie's Place: Camera-Critters ~ Nov 14, 2009

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Camera-Critters ~ Nov 14, 2009

~~~



Go here for more Camera Critters.

~~~

This time mine are a couple of little guys who are not too appealing ~IMHO~

...And - although they did visit my place, in both instances they were very brief visits...and a bit strained!


#1
Bat


A while back, this guy flew down our chimney and across the room, landing on a book case. My husband called me in to see something, saying, "Bring your camera!" I had no idea what he wanted me to see...but it was this guy!

Needless to say I was very quick in getting just a couple of pics...not daring to try to get his face at all! My husband, then, picked him up with a towel and removed him to the orange trees in our back yard.





#2
Shrew

Another day-not long after the Bat day- Charles came in and presented me with THIS strange little critter! Well, he didn't give him to me
(he was holding him with a heavy gloved hand )
but he asked me to find something to put him in. I had this plastic box which served our purpose, as it gave us a good view of him!

This is a shrew. I had never seen one but we had an idea of what it was and a search confirmed it. They live mostly underground-as moles do; and I believe they are related to moles but I'm not positive!

(LOL-That's why I'm leaving links so you can read about these critters for yourselves!)

This one appeared to have very sharp teeth and, obviously, sharp claws.
Charles handled this critter very carefully, and after we had a quick look, Charles let him go in our meadow at the edge of our yard!
That long snout and those claws are for digging and Charles said this critter was gone in a flash, after he set him free; straight down , underground!

Oh! Charles actually saved this little guys life, as he was trying to make it across our street and he's not equipped for moving on pavement. He was making no progress at all in moving himself along. Besides...he would have been smashed by traffic before he could have gotten across...even if he could have moved along!

(My husband is a hero!!)

:)



NOW... Just to make it fair and balanced...
I'll give you one cute critter!

One cute critter
should balance out 2 - not so cute!
Right?




'LUCY'




Love,
Junie

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:00 PM , Blogger SquirrelQueen said...

The photo of the bat is great, these little fellows are so misunderstood. He will be much happier in the Orange trees. The shrew is interesting, I've only seen one and that was years ago.

But you are right the cutest of all is the lovely Lucy.
The Road to Here

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Lucy is very cute. As for the others -- maybe to their mothers. :)

 
At 1:31 AM , Blogger Carletta said...

A bat - awesome Junie!
And a shrew and your lovely Lucy ...a super camera critters post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home