Junie's Place: "Look What The Cat Dragged In!"

Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Look What The Cat Dragged In!"

Warning: sad

~~~

Now, I'm sure you have all heard this saying at one time or another..."Look what the cat dragged in!"
~~

Look what the cat dragged in - A slightly derogatory comment on someone's arrival
Origin unknown, but an obvious reference to cats' tendency to bring home its prey, tattered and torn after "playing" with it for a while.
~~

I found this in my search!
More cat-sayings and their meanings found here!


~~

Well, I had quite a shock the other day, when I went to plug in my iron.

There in the corner, among an extension cord that had fallen onto the floor, was THIS!


In the unlighted corner I at first had trouble making out just what it was...but soon enough I could plainly see. :( It was a female Cardinal...my favorite of all the birds I see around our place!

What an unsettling thing this was!! :(
This little bird was not Tattered or torn- but lifeless just the same!

I have 3 cats as most of you know...and they are indoor/out-door cats! I can't imagine how that 'gift' to me was brought in without me seeing...because I have to open the door to let my cats in! (I have no small ~ dog/cat~ door!)

...Can't be sure which of my cats did this but I think I can safely eliminate old Tiger.
He's de-clawed, for one thing...another- he's old and not too swift...another- he's the most gentle soul I know!

On the other hand ...General is a hunter-and so is young Lucy!


~Tiger~


~General~


~ Lucy~




This is the nature of cats ...this hunting thing...and I try to look at it in that way!

~~~But -why the pretty birds, guys?~~~


~~Male Cardinal - seen from my kitchen window~~




Junie


Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:16 PM , Blogger Skye said...

That IS sad, Junie. I always feel sad when my cats kill things, even though I know it's their natural instinct to do so.

Still, I have to laugh when I remember a time several years ago that we found a beautiful red cardinal that had obviously fallen prey to our hunting cat, Runty. Katy, who was only about four at the time, said, "Oh no! Runty's killed the state bird!" (as if there were only one, and now it was gone! :)

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye,

:) what a cute-and smart- observation for a 4 yr. old child to make! :)

Yes, I'm always sad to see these things...and was especially 'shocked' to find it in my house!

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger Donna said...

Oh Darn! Well, cats will be cats!! It's what they do best...hughugs

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Sally said...

Oh goodness, Junie. I know that made your heart beat FAST!! :)

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just be thankful that the cat hasn't got your tongue. It happened to me once. Ouch.

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

haha-AC-

Good thing (for all your friends) you got yer tongue back...and your wit!
:)

Junie

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Sally and Donna,

Yep- it was a bit upsetting but it 'IS' a cat thing so have to expect it sometimes! We once had a cat in Miami that left us a big RAT at our front door , quite often!

Hugs)))

Junie

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

Awwww poor little birdie but then it's a natural thing for cats to do. At least they didn't bring you a mouse in bed like a friend of mine's cat did! lol I still have 2 stray cats around and just yesterday I caught one of them trying to get a dove. I banged on the window and it scared them both...GOOD! lol xoxo

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Yes, this is what cats do. I don't have one and haven't since our Calico brought a snake in the house several years ago. That cured me.

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Ah...sorry about the poor bird. I love my cats but hate that they naturally like to catch the birds.

I think General has a guilty look on his face!

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger Skye said...

We found a 'present' of a dead bird on our deck today, courtesy of one of the cats, and I immediately thought of you. Then, this afternoon, our big black cat Mip walked onto the deck with a HUGE brown wild mouse-looking thing in his mouth. Katy got very upset and chased him away, then caught the mouse in a thermos bottle(!) and released it into the wild. It had an injured leg, and who knows about internal injuries, so I don't know if it survived. It was sad, anyway.

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, ladies!

Yes-this is always sad to be a part of...but is in the Master's Plan of things , so all that must be considered!

Hugs))


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home