Junie's Place: From our garden~

Saturday, May 22, 2010

From our garden~

Something good from our garden!


My husband and my D-I-L,Joy, have a great little garden going! Can't say I've had a lot to do with it- except for making pictures and - now- starting to enjoy the harvest of the tasty veggies!

For the past few days we've been having yellow squash and cucumbers. We will have corn,tomatoes, bell peppers and green beans ( and I don't know what all, else,) to look forward to in the next few weeks!

Tonight I made this great Squash Casserole and thought some of you might enjoy the recipe.

Of course it's a simple one and probably a well known recipe and might be known to most of you already-but for what it's worth I'm posting it anyway! :)

This casserole turned out very good tonight and along with a roast beef and baked potatoes, a fresh salad of lettuce, tomatoes, sweet onions, garden fresh cukes and bits of cheddar cheese, we had a fine meal! Tina and her boys had dinner with us and we all agreed the squash was superb!

I forgot to make a picture of my casserole, but here are some of the squash!

Pretty, ehh?






Summer Squash Casserole

2 pounds crookneck or zucchini squash, sliced 3/8 inch thick
(7 cups)

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 10 3/4 oz.can condensed cream of chicken soup

1 cup dairy sour cream

I cup shredded carrots

1/4 cup butter or margarine

2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix


Cook summer squash with onion in boiling, salted water, (covered pot) until tender. (about 6-7 minutes)
Drain well.
Combine soup and sour cream; stir in carrots.
Fold in squash and onion.
Melt butter or margarine; toss with stuffing mix.
Spread half of the stuffing mixture in a 12 x 2-inch x 7 1/2 baking dish.
Spoon Vegetable mixture atop.
Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mixture.
Bake at 350 until heated through, 25-30 minutes.

Makes 6 servings

(easy and yummy way to cook summer squash!)

~~~

Here are some pictures of the garden this week!


( click on pics to enlarge )




































Junie Rose

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:28 AM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Home-grown things are the best...yum. Nice pics Junie...

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger dot said...

Love your garden pictures. My favorite way for yellow squash is to slice and dip in buttermilk then a mixture of flour and cornmeal. I love egg plant like that also. Oh yummy!

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Joy and Dot,

Thanks to you both!

Yes- nothing like fresh veggies!

Dot-I also like squash cooked that way- battered and fried!


Happy Sunday to you both!


Junie

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger dot said...

I figured a good southern woman like you would know how to fry squash!

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) For sure, Dot! And that's the best way to eat fresh squash!

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger Mountain Mama said...

It sounds like youa re really enjoying the garden's gifts. My garden is just planted last week and hasn't even sprouted yet. Soon I hope.
Your casserole sounds really yummy.

 
At 5:18 PM , Blogger Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, It's good to hear from you... It's been awhile I think. I love your header rose. GORGEOUS!!!!

Thanks for the Squash Casserole recipe... I copied and printed it out. Looks delicious. I just bought some squash and vidalia onions at the store this week...

Hope you have a great week.
Hugs,
Betsy

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Sally said...

Aw, Junie, I LOVE squash casserole and your recipe sounds really good. Your garden is beautiful!!

Have a great day! :)

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You guys are doing well: gardens for the eyes and gardens for the tummy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home