Junie's Place: Artichokes ( POST#3 OF TODAY )

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Artichokes ( POST#3 OF TODAY )

Tonight I was reading Sue's blog and looking at some pictures she had posted. She had some very pretty and interesting pictures on of a walk she and her husband took near their home in Ca. One picture in particular caught my eye. (Wild artichoke) She said it's of the Thistle family. It looks a lot like this plant that grows wild here, along roadsides and in pastures... I wonder if it's the same plant!

Compare Sue's wild Artichoke to my picture.
Are they the same plant?



Is this Wild Artichoke similar to the Artichoke plants that produce the Vegetables that are grown for eating? (I don't know!) I have been unable to find a picture of the Artichoke plant!

Here's a pic of a couple of Artichokes I bought and cooked a while back. I had no experience with cooking or eating them before this but wanted to try them because a friend had highly recommended them! I just boiled them a few minutes, until tender!
I found the hearts quite tasty, but there was not much there with the rest of it! As I remember I had made an oil, vinigar & spices mix, for dipping!



I found this site about the Artichoke Festival in Castroville, Ca.(in Monterey Co)
This sounds like fun!


Junie

(Just wondering about stuff tonight)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:57 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

I have no answers, I don't recall ever eating an artichoke - need to put that on my to-do list. ec

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

About 20 years ago we visited our daughter, sil and our first 2 'grands' in Monterey, Ca. (they were stationed at Fort Ord Army base!

I remember eating artichokes in a restaurant out there...part of a salad bar, I think!

I remember seeing fields of artichokes growing, too- but don't remember what the plants looked like! ;) I just read tonight that California supplies 100% of commercial artichokes to our country!

June

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger TJ said...

Hey Miz Junie,
I'm just now getting around...I just know I like hot artichoke/spinach dip...hehe!!
Ouch girl on your recent bruises!!
Love & Hugs

 
At 11:51 PM , Blogger MrsDoF said...

I like to buy pickled artichoke hearts in a jar to put on salads.
Otherwise, I don't know anything about them.
The purple flower on the plant is quite pretty, tho.

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Diane,

Yes, I have used them that way, too. But I had never cooked them myself.

Going for a ride so will catch up later.

June

 
At 8:37 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Tammy,

The bruises are ok- I just was very lucky I didn't get hurt more...and that water was COLD!!

Going for a motorcycle ride so will catch up here later.

Junie

 
At 10:33 PM , Blogger Granny said...

Castroville has a sign advertising itself as the artichoke capital of the world. Probably true. As we drive in that area (not too far from where I live) we see mile after mile of them.

The girls love chokes - it's a good excuse to pig out on mayo. And they're fun to eat of course.

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Ann,

Yes, what I read about Castroville says that.

We have been to that area 2 times and we found it very nice.Well, my husband likes anything to do with farming so he was impressed with all the crops. I DO remember seeing the artichoke fields...but-oddly- don't remember much of how the plants looked.


I'll have to give those chokes another try! :) Do you have a special way you fix them?

June

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home