Junie's Place: Last minute shopping...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Last minute shopping...

Tonight we had to do some last minute shopping for some food items for the Thanksgiving dinner.

Earlier in the day I had made a list of several things I still needed...It added up to quite a few by the time I was finished.

OK!
I was pondering the fact that I had spent about $300.00 already on my regular grocery shopping and holiday related food items and decorating...and all the little odds and ends I always end up getting...
extra little food storage boxes-cute dishtowels with turkeys on them-the big aluminum cooking pans (double, for the big turkeys I cook)- the new table cloths - the scented candles I love to use...throw-away plates and cups (to cut down a little on clean up)
about a zillion things-or so it seems!

I decided, since Charles was with me, I would take that long list and divide it- half for him and half for me! Lol- at first he thought I meant the idea was for him to just gather up half the items...I explained..."No, you gather up AND pay for your half of the items on the list...since I've already spent a ton of $$$!" I gave him the list and he read it, folded it and tore in half and chose the list he wanted!

I left him *grumbling* as I headed off toward the far side of the store. I had dog food and cat food on my half of the list! While I was on that side of the store I went into the garden shop to pick up some potted plants...not on my list but I Can't resist plants! Ended up getting one for me and one for both my daughters!...I also bought some candies which was not on the list but only because I had forgotten it- until I saw it in it's festive holiday colors! In the produce section I ended up getting 4 different fruits...only two were on the list. Ice cream was- but the chocolate syrup to pour on it- wasn't! (I try to anticipate what each and every one might want)

Finally, Charles and I meet up again...me, with 3 big plants dominating my cart. He with - well- a few things! :) I saw I still had corn meal and butter milk on the list...so I tell him, "YOU know about the corn meal (he makes the corn bread for the dressing) so YOU go buy it- and the buttermilk too!" :)
(Did I butter him up, or what?? :) )

Oh! I had put a dutch apple pie in my cart and asked him if it was ok...he said he preferred the regular apple pie. So I said,"OK, you get the kind you like, then!
He did...Naturally, that went in his cart!

Finally, we had checked off every item (plus, I had added several more) and were ready to check out! Charles, of course, was able to go in the express lane, no prob.!(20 items or less!) I wanted to, also... I frantically counted my items-and found I had 21! There was nothing to do but to put that Farberware pie/cake server, (which I had picked up at the last moment) with Charles' check out items!


It turns out my bill came to $80.OO something...His came to $30.00 something!

What do you think? Did he give that shopping list more than a quick glance? hahaha
I think so! ;)

~~~
**Above 'grumbling'

We have long had this rule that all the food will be bought out of MY part of our $$$...the part that is budgeted for the running of the house! OK- that works fine-EXCEPT for big holidays! ;) Rules can always be bent a little!
~~~

We had THIS when we got home - Charles' apple pie! It was really good!


Lucky I kept that other one in my own checkout cart!


Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Junie

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 11:57 PM , Blogger S said...

Hey !! feels so good reading you write about something apparantly small...but so very a familial thing !!! Wish you a very happy life ahead.

Your health maam !!

 
At 12:00 AM , Blogger S said...

..also..may I bookmark your page? I'd be delighted to read about your days..!!

Thanks

 
At 12:06 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hey,

Of course I always welcome new readers. Hope you'll visit often! :) and hope you'll introduce yourself!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Junie

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger Peter said...

He's not just a pretty face is he?

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger Jeanette said...

Happy thanksgiving June
looks like you got a lot of shopping there and that apple pie looks delicous

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Peter,

:)

No!- smart, too!!

June

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Jeanette,

Thanks!

Yes- looks like we're all set!

June

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Lori said...

It sounds like you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 3:41 PM , Blogger Susie said...

I laughed how you divided your shopping list up. Whatever works!
Enjoy your holiday feast!

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)

Yah...but still he made out ok!

June

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Lori,

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger S said...

Hi..!!!

Mouth-watering recipies from THE Granny !!! You really made me miss my Grandmom !!

Happy Days ahead !!!

Saumendra

and oh..yes I've changed my profile..so that now its accessible..!!

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

To Saumendra,

I'm happy you came back to visit again.

I'm sorry if I made you miss your Grandmom in a bad way...Though our memories are to be TREASURED!

I went to your site and read a little and have saved it so I will return again!

OH! Am glad you liked reading about our good food too! :)

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home