Junie's Place: Florida cold

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Florida cold





Hey, Today I'm doing THIS again...






...BECAUSE a hard freeze has been predicted for our area...several hours of freezing temps overnight! If that really does come to pass...I fear all this good citrus will be lost! :( There is just so much I can save...although the fruit will keep for awhile-refrigerated, but I am limited with space in my fridges. So I will just do what I can... I have never tried to freeze juice~ and besides...don't feel up to doing a whole lot of squeezing~ especially not knowing how it would turn out! There must be a way but I have never researched the subject and it's a little late now to face this situation!

LOL- Charles says,"Just let them freeze on the tree and then pick 'em and freeze them whole!" He was joking, of course! If only it could be that easy!! ;)

Oh,well! What will be will be!
(as Doris used to say in that song!!)

With a little good luck that freeze won't happen!!
We'll see!

~~~

Perhaps this will help!
We DID have our
black eyed peas and hog jowl yesterday...to bring us good luck in the new year, ya know!







Oh, yes! This meal was prepared by the famous, 'Confused Chef!'
It was excellent, as one might expect!




Tonight I am making a pot of old fashioned chicken stew...and am doing it the way of the Confused Chef...which is to say ~ without a recipe. I did, however, cut off a lot of the fat! I make this with a whole chicken-stewed and the bones removed...then add chopped onions, carrots, celery~ potatoes. (in big pieces) Cook until veggies are tender. Then add canned tomatoes, canned or frozen corn, canned green peas or lima beans (or both) canned green beans... pick and choose the veggies as you like.. :)... salt, pepper, parsley flakes- as you like!

LOL- NO RECIPE- just all guess work!

Hope it turns out good 'cause I invited my sis and BIL to eat dinner with us. They are coming up for some more fruit before the freeze....

Charles just heard on the news of SNOW FLURRIES on the coast!

MAN!!
This is Florida!! What's with the snow flakes?

( HATE this global warming trend! ) :)


Gotta go and do that chicken stew now!

Later,

Junie Rose

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ginga,

You're right, this global warming is just aweful. I just finished putting blankets on my staghorn and palm tree. I hope they don't bow off. Oh well, you do what you can.

Terry

 
At 8:43 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Terry,


:)

Thanks for coming by.

Gabbo wrapped up our staghorn real good too- I would especially hate for you all to lose that expensive palm!! The staghorns come back, even if they are frozen back- but not the palm- I'm thinking.

I hope it doesn't get as cold as they say it might- and stay that way for as long! Really hate to lose the oranges! I meant to remind you all to take some more of them when you were here!

Keep yer fingers crossed!!

Ginga

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Cliff said...

I'm throwing a flag. a 15 yard penalty for showing us those home grown oranges a gain.
I gained 2 pounds reading that last post too.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger MrsDoF said...

Our thermometer is sitting on 0 (zero) degrees F right now, which is making the snow like powder blowing gently around.
We are already tired of shoveling out, and there is 3 months of winter left.

When my cousin lived in Florida, she had a way of putting orange slices into jars, just like canning tomatoes or peaches.
I suppose the night the freeze comes along is too late to figure out all the process, tho.

MrsDoF

 
At 1:00 AM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh...those oranges look delicious. Throw a few my way Junie....once again, you've made me hungry.

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks for coming by - all you folks

Cliff

Joy

Diane (MrsDof)

Although it got below freezing, hopefully it didn't stay that way long enough to zap the oranges...not sure just yet! I just got up about 8:00

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's plenty cold up here I can tell you, but although some very personal items will freeze they won't be oranges. :)

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Anvilcloud,

:)

Thanks for visiting ...

Keep warm in that snowy place!

Still COLD here tonight too.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

It seems like everyone is being hit with this cold front...it's absolutely frigid here but thankfully we're supposed to get milder temps in a few days. You know what it means if your oranges freeze over there...we'll be paying a fortune for them at the store!!! lol Your meal looked sooo good...one of these days I'll have to try blackeyed peas but I'm not even sure if we can get them here!

Junie, I so enjoyed watching that video of all of you playing that game...it's very similar to the way we play it and it sure brings on the laughter when everyone starts stealing from each other! hehe

Here's to another wonderful year of friendship!! xox

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger Peter said...

Snow in Florida and global warming is a bit of a contradiction!!!

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Pea,

:) yes we have fun with that card game...and I remembered you had mentioned a game similar to it. Tina usually puts restaurant gift cards in...but she didn't have time to do that this year. LOL- I think the kids were a little disappointed with the gifts I put in there!haha But- what the heck- We had fun anyway!

Keep warm!

Junie

 
At 10:14 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

LOL!

Exactly what I'm thinking, Peter!

Take care,

June

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home