Junie's Place: Music and a gift

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Music and a gift



First off , I want to show this gift that came for me yesterday in the mail! It was a bloggy drawing win from Brandy at her blog ~ artbrat.blogspot.com/.

What I won is a very pretty, handmade beaded necklace in pretty spring colors.
This is a very talented blogger. Visit her when you have a chance...lots of pretty stuff to see there!

Thanks, Brandy!



~~~

Charles and I enjoyed our night out to see Gordon Lightfoot. We have both liked his music a lot since the 7os and saw him once before in Miami. (Probably 30 years ago!!)
( some info on Gordon Lightfoot here)

He still sounds much as he did in the early days although he looks a lot different. I think he has had some serious health problems in recent years and appears frail and very thin.
(I found this about his health )

Nevertheless, he played to a very attentive and enthusiastic audience that seemed to enjoy every moment of the show; an older audience-to be sure! One lady-older than me from what I could see- was heard calling out to Gordon, 'I love you!'  :) And at one point I was afraid she was about to be thrown out (by an usher) for taking pictures that  were not permitted! LOL- But she put her camera away without a fight!

I know we enjoyed the show! ;) We had front row seats- but to the side- so we had excellent sound and view of the show! (no cameras were allowed so -no pictures!)

It was good to hear all the old familiar songs and a couple of new ones. When he finally left the stage , after 2 hours with one short break between, he came back with one more song! ( WE-the audience - insisted!! :) ) This one I had been hoping for and it had been absent among his string of familiar songs that he had played for us... LOL- I (~ sort of~) did a little 'jump for joy' when he started playing, 'Get Out Old Dan's Records!' I wish I could find a video of that but haven't been able to! It's a very lively and happy sounding song!

~~~~

Photos:

Charles and me, in 1978, on our way to see Gordon Lightfoot for the first time!



...And Charles and me-yesterday...30 years later! :)


:) Surprisingly~ 30 years makes a difference in all of us!

( LOL- But Gordon still sings good and what can C. and I say for ourselves!! haha!)














Thanks to our daughter, Tina, for this very thoughtful gift of the tickets to this show! We both enjoyed the night very much!


Love,
(Mom)

Junie Rose

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 12:00 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, I think he was quite sick some time ago, with what I'm not sure. They did his songs on Canadian Idol last year or the year before, but he didn't sing at that time and looked quite spent.

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi AC,

Well, I found a story telling of his health problems!

Hope you come back to see it! :)

 
At 12:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WAS ENJOYING THE SHOW REAL GOOD UNTIL THOSE OLD LADIES STARTED THROWING THEIR DEPENDS ON THE STAGE!

;)

GABBO

( Charles )

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

HAHAHA

Stop it!! You silly!!


Junie

 
At 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty little blog gifty. I'll be posting my wins soon..I've won two recently...thought I was on a roll and bought a lotto ticket..teehee!

Ya'll still look good together!

Have a great day!

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Tammy,


:)... the first time I have won anything on the blog give-aways. But I don't usually do a lot of them.


Thanks on the picture comment. LOL- I guess we're not that bad for a couple of old folks! haha...besides- you can't judge a book by it's cover-anyway! I'm really a much younger person- in an old lady skin! :)


Junie

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love the photos of you and Charles, then and now.
I think you look great is both photos! You are a wonderful couple!!
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.

I think Alli may try and steal that bead necklace you won. It sure is pretty!

 
At 10:25 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

LOL at Charles' comment! hehe Congratulations on the win, dear Junie, that truly is a very pretty bead necklace. Isn't it so much fun winning stuff like that...so many talented bloggers out there. I'm so glad you and Charles had such a wonderful time at Gordon's concert...every time I think of him I think of his song "The Edmund Fitzgerald" based on the true story of the ships' sinking. Loved seeing the two pictures...30 years apart...you two still look terrific:-) xox

 
At 10:38 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi JD,

Well, thanks!


Yes, the show was good- familiar and nice!


Junie

 
At 10:48 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Pea,

Thanks! LOL- Charles has a weird sense of humor...and I guess he feels , since we (he and I are old folks, it's ok to make those kind of jokes! Lol- I hope no one gets offended!


Yeah, it was fun getting that little necklace in the mail. It's very pretty and nicely made.

We enjoyed the Gordon Lightfoot show a lot, but were surprised at his appearance. I didn't know of his medical problems until I did some searching on the web.

But he DOES still sound good! He sang most of his hits (that I knew) including 'The Edmund Fitzgerald.'

Have a good night, Pea.


Junie

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - glad you enjoyed Gordon!!
Yes, we almost lost him back in 2002 - he was desperately ill. He's come back from that terrible time and is strong and fit albeit thin! He's very healthy tho-still goes to his gym and tours contstantly as he did prior to his illness in Sept.2002 and started back up again in Nov.2004.
I'm in Toronto and have been seeing him constantly since the early 70's. (probably about 60 times)Many internet fans will once again be coming to Toronto for the Massey Hall concerts this May. I was to be in Orlando and Tampa for shows but had to cancel at the last minute. Hopefully I'll get to a few in NY and CT. this June.
lots of info: www.lightfoot.ca and a very busy message board at www.corfid.com
His latest album "Harmony" was completed while he was recuperating and is full of Lightfoot songs of love lost etc. as they were writtin prior to his illness while his marriage was comig undone..they are classic LIghtfoot. Different voice than the 70's but still Gordon Lightfoot.
take care,
Char

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Char,

Thanks very much for your comments and info about Gordon Lightfoot! I will certainly check out the websites you listed.

Oh! Yes-Gordon is still wonderful...although a bit different sounding than in his early days!

I was just a little surprised at his thinness -not having followed his career closely in the past few years, I had not known of his illness.

I want to get that album,'Harmony.'
In the show we just saw he performed a couple of the songs that were not known to me- I suppose from this album.

Thanks so much for visiting .

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home