Junie's Place: Dismal day and humming birds

Friday, August 22, 2008

Dismal day and humming birds

I have to say today has been one for the books in terms of misery and aggravation...with this dumb tropical storm just hovering over us; in and out of our state's upper east coast!

Fay never did work up to hurricane force but seemed determined to cause as much annoyance as possible, nonetheless!

Heavy rains and moderate winds, for the past 2 days, have played a bit of havoc with us north Floridians! With all the rain, there have been reports of gators emerging from some of the waterways and invading populated areas. Thank goodness we are not near any lakes, etc...

We have had 2 dismal days of almost constant rain. Today, especially, has been nothing but gray skies and rain. The power has gone out a couple of times but just for short periods - so far!

I have tried to amuse myself with sitting by my window and watching the humming birds and I even tried to get some pictures- lol- with little success, tho! I think I might manage a half decent picture, from my vantage point here, if I remove the screen and clean the window!! Maybe I can do that after this tedious tropical storm has gone on her way!!

I am fascinated with these tiny birds! This is the first time we've had an abundance of them come around. Usually I see just a few each summer, even tho I have had the feeders for a few seasons! This year there are a bunch of them. (lol- maybe a flock) Every time I glance out the window I see a few of them flitting around and pausing to sip from the liquid feeder, placed under the overhang of the roof and very near my window! They don't seem very social birds, as usually only one will feed while the others just hover or chase the one feeding, away! They make me smile! :)

Anyway- here's a pic of the amazing little birds that are no bigger than a large moth! :) I would LOVE to hold one of those little things in my hand, just once!
















All I can say about today's skies is..."It's a darn good thing I'm not depending on this for a SKY WATCH FRIDAY picture!"


























Junie

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Blogger Margie's Musings said...

I am so sorry your weather is so dismal, Junie. We were hoping for a little more rain here in Kansas to cool it off. This is the first hot day in a couple of weeks.

We have gobs of hummingbirds here too. I have three feeder and it's all I can do to keep them filled.

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger Gemma Wiseman said...

Enjoyed this post! We too have had days of rain in Australia! 11 straight at last count and then alternate days after that with wimpy sunshine until yesterday afternoon. Then the sun came out fully, and the whole world seemed to be glittering!

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Margie,

:) sorry, I tend to whine with too much of this gloomy weather! Especially so when I'm not feeling so great, physically.


I HAVE enjoyed the little humming birds, tho. I need to get a couple more feeders!

Thanks for coming by again.


Junie

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

To:

Greyscale Territory


Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love seeing new faces pop in here! (I have several Aussie blog pals already...I find your country very fascinating to read about!)

I'm happy you enjoyed this post...hope you will check out some others here and also on my other blogs (on side bar)

I will visit your site soon.


Junie

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Sally said...

I hear you, Junie. Hopefully, before long the sky will be bright once again!

Have a good weekend!!

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Judy said...

We have not any rain in a month. Hopefully, we will get some this week left over from the hurricane. I am sorry it has been so dismal for you, June, and hope that the weekend brings sunny days and cheer and that you feel better. Love the hummingbirds!

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Sally,


Just read your update at your place! Am happy you and yours are all safe.

Yah! Our blue skies will return...it's just been a long, drawn out thing...and Fay is not even a Hurricane!!!


Take care!


Junie

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Judy,

Sure wish I could share some of this rain with you! LOL- we have more than enough right now.


Thanks for all your good wishes, Judy. I appreciate it a lot!


Happy weekend !



Junie

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

I hope the rain stops soon Junie. Those skies do look gray and dismal. It's so dry here the grass crunches when I walk on it. Strange how some places have too much rain and others not enough, but that's how it goes! I'm glad Fay wasn't stronger than it was but she has been sticking around FL. She likes it there apparently!

I love hummingbirds! They are so cute. I found one a while back that was dead in our driveway. There was no visible problems, other than his beak was kind of split at the end. I think he must have flew (and you know how fast they fly!) into the neighbor's garage and kocked himself out of this world. It was so nice holding him and seeing him/her up close but so sad it was dead. They are such adorable little things.

Have a wonderful weekend!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Eve said...

Sending you a hug! I know what you mean about Fay. We had a cat one in here one time that hung around for days on end. You just want it to go away for good and let the Sun shine.
Beautiuful little darlings. I don't remember who it was but one of my readers has a post, where she is actually holding a little baby hummingbird.

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Rachel,

Yes-Fay seems to like us here in Fl.!! But I'll be glad to see the last of this rain and see some blue sky again!


Poor little hummer! :( That would certainly make me very sad to find one like that, and you're probably right about what happened to it!

They are fun to watch, the way they take off at such great speed and hover-up and down and to the sides!

Last year was the first time I had a feeder up close to my window but we didn't have many last year! This year has been way different! They really do put on a constant show for me! :)

Hope you have a good week end!


Junie

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Eve,

Thanks for coming by again!

I guess by tomorrow our weather will be getting better- I sure hope so.

;0 Am enjoying watching the humming birds a lot. I'm going to put up more feeders.

Gee, can't imagine how tiny a BABY Hummer would be! :)

Enjoy your weekend.


Junie

 
At 12:41 AM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I absolutely love humming birds! They are the cutest things. I imagine them to be very nervous since they never seem to keep still.
Courtney and I got home late this past Tuesday, well it was actually early morning Wed technically, and it was raining. It has rained off and on ever since. Maybe Fay is causing us all this wetness. I like it because we don't have to water the grass!
:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home