Junie's Place: Update on critter visits:

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Update on critter visits:


Update to Update: lol

Anyone following my Critters saga might like to read comments left in the post below this one.


Junie




Update:
on critter visits!






Oh, my!

Thought I had things under control, after feeding my cats and latching the screen.

Well, one last look-late-late into the night (2:30 AM)- I was to see that I again had a critter visiting! This time it was the Raccoon! He was calmly helping himself to the leftover Meow Mix-just as the 'possum had done the previous night!

The cats, again, were undisturbed by the strange animal sharing their food.

Since he was there, I hoped I could get a picture of him but when I got my camera and got close to the door he quickly left the scene!

Since the door was secured he had found a hole in the screen to enter and exit the porch!
I had known of this hole in the screen -(which was made by my big cat, General, awhile back when he had become impatient to be out after being in for the night!) but I had thought the wild animals would not be aware of it and hoped the latched door would keep them out! I was wrong!

When the raccoon would see me watching he would leave -but would return 3 times to finish up his meal!

He obviously was no threat to my cats so there was nothing I could do, immediately, except watch!

But -I tell you- it gives you an eerie feeling to realize there are strange things coming into your space in the wee hours! What next- a bear??
(really-we DO have bears in our area- or at least a few miles from us in the Ocala National Forest)

And - what am I to do about all this??

I love and respect wildlife but I don't like these close encounters with these animals!


Junie


Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for keeping me greatly amused.

 
At 12:33 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

hahaha- so you think 'The Life And Times Of Junie Rose' are funny, do ya??

I need some sleep!!!

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't blame you about not letting them share you living space. We have our share of critters with the frog pound out back but have been very fortunate not to have them inside. My only suggestion is to setup a feeding station for them outside but that could be expensive and attract more visitors.

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger dot said...

They say the bears will come out too looking for food. In fact one was killed in my neighborhood before I moved here.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Dot,

Yes- there are bear sightings every now and then in our area...but I'm really not too concerned where we are.

...these other little critters I can tolerate...I just need to not leave cat food on the porch anymore!

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mary,

Yep- my mistake was in leaving the food there for the cats-so,from now on, I will take steps NOT to leave food out to attract the wildlife!

I want them around...I'm a live-let-live kind of person...I just don't want to be THAT CLOSE to them! :)

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I've had raccoons come on my deck when I was leaving food for the stray cats so I had to make sure I brought in the dish once I knew the cats had eaten enough. That's the problem about leaving food out, you never know what creature will come eat it, as you're finding out. lol I think your only resource is to make sure that door is latched and hole in the screen repaired so that wild animals can't get in. Your cats will just have to understand! lol xoxo

 
At 5:56 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

I agree with you on not liking the intrusion. At night, I'll stay inside and you stay outside is my rule.
Well that plus racoons can be so darned distructive when they get in homes.
Our land ladys summer cottage here on this place was ruined by two coons that got in, in the winter time and couldn't get out. They absolutely trashed both floors of the building.

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger Donna said...

Just make Sure, when going outside, to Look Around First Girl!!!
hughugs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home