Junie's Place: Poem: Remembering the Butterfly

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Poem: Remembering the Butterfly

(this poem came from a memory I've had all these years, from first grade!)





Remembering the Butterfly


I watched as the boys
pinned the butterfly’s wings.
I watched as it struggled,
in vain, to be free.
It’s brief life made briefer.
So soon it was stilled!
And I cried and I grieved,
wondering why this should be!
We gazed at it close–up,
powdery and still.
Pinned dead to the wall,
for those un-told hours!
It’s beauty diminished
in my ’ little girl’ eyes,
compared to it’s ‘Free Flight’
among the spring flowers!


June Kellum
Aug. 2004

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

What a terrific poem Junie...even though it's a little bit of a sad memory. Butterflies are often an inspiration for many writers and poets.

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, Joy.

Butterflies are among my favorite things, as you might have figured out!
(smile)

BTW-
Have been enjoying some of your poems today, on your blog. Hope you got my comments there!

I love your thoughts, poems and stories on Christmas - as I can identify so well with the family things you write about!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home