Junie's Place: Brian's Music Review- By Chris

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Brian's Music Review- By Chris


Brian’s Music Review- By Chris


My grandson, Brian, has completed a CD of a collection of 10 songs. All, except one, are his own!

I was pleased to learn that my son, Chris (who has long had a discerning approach to music listening) is as impressed with this CD as I am! He wrote this ‘review’ of Brian’s music and sent it along with a copy of the CD to his girlfriend who lives in Maine. Chris says this music is like a ‘Greatest Hits’ album of someone who has been in the business for a while!

Now I can relax in the knowledge that my opinion was not swayed by being Brian’s grandmother! : )


Here is what Chris wrote about these 4 songs!!

1.
Mexico-

a nice little morality tale; of course both the hooker and the customer are putting their souls in danger by their behaviors. Brian doesn't realize this but stylistically this song could have been written and arranged by Lloyd Cole.

2.
Shallow-

A really subtley arranged number. I detect a slight flavor of Loudon Wainwright. (who Brian has been listening to lately) Lyrically, it's a bit unique, as the girl is not being really flattered here.

3.
Jordan's Stormy Banks-

My understanding is that this is an old church standard which Brian has, obviously, dramatically rearranged. Pretty Bluesy!

>
>
>
>

7.
Try-

This is an emotional masterpiece. It's about a melancholy marriage. There's something about the delivery here that brings to mind Jackson Browne at his best. The resolution at the end - turn to Christ - is heart wrenching!


***Note: 'Try' is my favorite of all the songs!***


Brian has 4 of his songs on a website.
(these 4 songs (Reviewed here) can be heard on Brian's site- see my side bar)

Thanks!
Hope you'll take the time to check it out!


Junie
aka Ginga

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:39 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Congrats to Brian on his CD! I'm curretly using the laptop whose sound is broken, so I can't go over there to Brian's for a listen.
His songs sound very interesting. Of course, you think he is talented, but I have a feeling that all who hear him would agree with you.

Keep up the good work, Brian!!!!

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Much thanks, Jamie Dawn!

I'm very pleased and proud of Brian's songs. Hope yu can hear them sometimes soon!

Junie

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

How great for Brian. What's the name of his CD Junie? I'd love to go find it. My nephew, Shane, has had 3 CD's out in the last few years with 3 different bands he's been with. They're all a little different sound. He's is a lyricist and plays the keyboards and guitar. I have every one...I love them. Good luck to Brian...knowing how much you love music....I know you're very excited for him....me too!

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Joy,

It is not out yet- He hopes it will be!

I just love it...lol- but I guess I would-whatever!

He reminds me , somewhat, of Jackson Browne! Especially so, with the song, 'TRY!' It's really a pretty song!

So tell me more about your nephew's music!

Junie

 
At 12:41 AM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Shane has been involved with several bands, but mostly three...."The Cool Waters Band", "Hot Tractor", and " 8 Spokes on a Dirt Road." They were all local bands out of Wisconsin, where he lives; they all made a CD, and Shane wrote a lot of the songs. They played in surrounding states as well...even here in Illinois. Now he plays around, but not really with his own band anymore. I don't know exactly what's up with him musically. He substitute teaches on the side. Isn't that nutty? He's a cool kid, and I just love him to death. I'm his godmother. He's really very talented musically and just up and taught himself to play piano and guitar one day. I've always admired that. I don't know if his love for music will take him anywhere, but I've always rooted him on since I have such a great love for it myself. I know you agree....I can see you feel the same way for Brian.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Brian was with a band called 'Seventh Star' before he was out of high school. They toured all over the country a couple of summers. They were a Christian Hard Rock band! The message was good but I didn't like the sound that much!

What Brian is doing now is much better and all of his lyrics have a good moral message too.

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home