Junie's Place: My Travels With Charlie- Part 6

Friday, July 21, 2006

My Travels With Charlie- Part 6

Charles and I spent several hours, before visiting with the folks, riding around the country and seeing some of the places where he grew up! It’s always fun and NEW for me, no matter how many times we have done it over the years! I like the country setting, more than anything!

Going over Elk River takes you into the farming area of Mud Bottom where many of Charlie’s stories originated.

Elk River was in walking distance of where Charlie’s family lived for several years. He and his brothers and cousins swam in the river, and watched this bridge being built.

He tells of once accidentally falling in, when he was very young and before he could swim, and his oldest brother jumping in and saving him; promptly giving him a good whipping- for being careless and falling in! :) Tough love!




The house where they lived in Mud Bottom was less than 2 miles from the river. A new and grand house was built on this spot a few years ago, with an indoor swimming pool- living area all on the second floor! Now, as all those years ago, all the surrounding area is planted in cotton!

Two of the original buildings still stand on this place-The barn and the smokehouse!




Just down the dirt road from where Charlie's family lived was the place where the Teeples family lived.
The old house is still standing!

(See story May'06 Archives...Farm Life of the Past-'Being Rented Out')


















More country scenes tomorrow!

JunieRose

7 Comments:

At 10:03 AM , Blogger Jacqui said...

Hi Junie,
just these country pictures, and of course the travels and visiting too.

I especially like the black edged one, I beleive you posted how you do that, will have to go back and find it, as it makes a stunning picture.
hugs jacqui

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Peter said...

Hi June, this is a facinating series that you are doing, look forward to more.

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for visiting and looking at my pictures.

I like the black edged effect on the pictures, too! My picture program that I use is iphoto. There's lots you can do with it...especially with the new upgrade my son-in-law did for me!

I also have photoshop which I use a lot!

(More country pictures tomorrow...Hope to conclude in a couple more posts! )

Junie

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Peter,

Thanks! :) I know you appreciate country things, having some similar experiences!
(Different, of course, but still country!)

Hope to conclude with a few more posts...LOL- some of my readers may be getting bored with all this country stuff!! :)

June

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

You have taken some amazing pictures Junie...I've thoroughly enjoyed your travels.

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Joy,

Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you're enjoying my pictures. You KNOW I have fun with my camera!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home