Junie's Place: Claw Hammer Bluegrass-IBMA

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Claw Hammer Bluegrass-IBMA

A few days ago, my husband, excitedly, brought to my attention a story in our local paper- Ocala Star Banner!

Seems we have a celebrity in our area!
( Well- yah- there's John Travolta!!)
And then there's this bluegrass-banjo picker-Mark Johnson-who has been nominated for the IBMA ( International Bluegrass Music Association) award for his latest CD, "Acoustic Rising," for instrumental album of the year.



Go here!

Mark Johnson, along with his co-star, mandolin player, Emory Lester, are competing against some heavyweights of the business, including the well known and respected Ricky Skaggs. ( read story for other nominees)

These music awards will be presented in Nashville, Tn - Grand Ole Opry - on Oct 4th!

***And I am wishing our local guys well!***


I am not knowledgeable with Bluegrass, but my husband IS and knows of Mark Johnson. He plays the claw hammer style of banjo pickin!' This was the style of the well known
and much admired, 'Grandpa Jones!'

Of course I went searching to find out about Mark Johnson. I didn't find any Youtubes of his music, but did find this website! Lots of interesting info here.

*OHH!!! Just discovered there are music clips of songs on this website!*

( Check out all the links! )


~~~


OK-

One might just assume, since this musician is living here in our area, that he is a local fellow! Bluegrass music IS the music of the south, I always thought! Right??

Imagine my surprise when reading his bio, discovering he is from Yorktown Heights, NY!!

;) I just found that a little bit unusual and amusing!


Junie




Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:56 AM , Blogger mreddie said...

I listened to a couple of those banjo tunes - good ones and a bit different from what I was used to. Thanks! ec

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi EC,

Thanks for listening. I'm happy you enjoyed the banjo music.

 
At 9:28 AM , Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Oh wow....I remember Grandpa Jones from Hee Haw!! He was great when he'd solo on his banjo.

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Anni,

Oh yes! Grandpa Jones was great with that banjo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home