Junie's Place: Early Christmas Memories

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Early Christmas Memories



*As this season comes around again I find myself remembering Christmases of the past...I mean-of my way-far back past!
(how about more than 60 years??)
These posts are recycled from my Memories of Mom blog which can be found on my side bar if anyone is interested.
( posted in January, 2006)

These little snippets from my past Christmas memories serve to illustrate that LOVE is the main ingredient that goes into a happy Christmas!*


NOTE:
I will number the stories in the order to be read.


~~~


#1


This memory is a favorite Christmas memory of mine! It was probably 1946 or 47...not sure!
(I wish I could ask Mom!)



Christmas Eve


Christmas Eve!
Heavy Alabama snow fall!
Night-the whitest white!
Too cold to venture out-
but we must -one last time before bed,
to the outhouse.

We then get snug and Mama tells us stories
of the Baby Jesus, of his mother, Mary - of
Joseph, the Shepherds, the Wise Men,
the Angels. We sing “Silent Night,"
“Away In a Manger” and feel,
through Mama’s words, the wonder of
HIS birth!


Being little girls, too, we feel the excitement
–the anticipation- of Santa’s visit and
wonder what he’ll bring us! We have no doubt
he will come, as we search the skies
through the frosty window; hoping for a glimpse of him.
As usually happens with children and Santa,
sleep came to us before Santa did!

The morning proved our faith well placed,
as this was the year we found our
Betsy Wetsy baby dolls under the tree, along with
puzzles, a spinning top and books!

...A book about Santa...
and a book about the real Christmas, the birth of Baby Jesus.



Remembering Mom…

~~~

#2

Another Alabama Christmas season

One Christmas season, as we anxiously counted down the days,
Santa appeared at a window, late one night!

As the story goes, Santa routinely checks up on children,
keeping tabs on who's naughty and who's nice!!
We, my baby sister and I, were in awe at having that brief glimpse of Santa at our window!
...And we hoped we had been nice enough all year!

Much later, that next year, I came across a fake beard in a dresser drawer!
That puzzled me for awhile - but I put it out of my mind before
the next Christmas season came around!

Some things are just too precious to give up before it's time! :)

...wondering...

...was it my brother or Daddy?



Remembering - June 1, 2005

~~~

Junie

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:09 PM , Blogger Cliff said...

I loved the stories. good stuff JR.

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Thanks for reading , Cliff.



JR

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

Such wonderful memories dear Junie! I remember my mom telling me how she found out there was no Santa Claus...she had snuck in her parents' room and had peeked in their cedar chest and found a doll. When she opened that doll for Christmas, then she knew that Santa wasn't real. For myself, I really can't remember when I found out!! I just caught up with your latest posts...I can well imagine how upsetting it was to see those cows go. Like you, I get very attached to animals and now get wary of caring too much about them!! xoxo

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I LOVE your memories of Christmases past.
What warmth and love you had as a child.
Santa visited me at my house too when I was little.
Those memories are wonderful!!!
I love the Christmas season, and I can tell you do too.

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Pea and Jamie D,

Thanks for reading and your comments!

Christmas has always been a very special time for me- always will be!

Lol- I NEVER gave up my belief in Santa Claus!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home