Junie's Place: My Big Tree

Friday, December 07, 2007

My Big Tree




I love this big cedar tree in our front yard! Until recent years Charles would string lights on it. What a spectacular sight that was! He made great effort to do this, by standing on the bed of his pick-up truck with the lights attached to a long pruning pole, until our tree got too tall to manage it! :( The tree is now- 0h-I'm guessing- 35 ft tall ! Just now made this pic of Charles by the tree- so you can see it is BIG!! I think the last year he was able to do that was 5 Christmases ago- the last Christmas Mom was with us.

When we first moved here from Miami, almost 20 years ago, I was excited to be moving to a less tropical place. The idea of a cold winter has always appealed to me! I think this was inspired by the beautiful snowy scenes on Christmas cards!

Charles and I could envision how nice it could be, sitting in the winter time by the fireplace we would have in our new home. We looked forward to chilly, foggy days. We DO get just enough of those days in our winters here to satisfy both of us!

The first winter we were here we had a little snow-and a LOT of ice, :) and it was on Christmas Eve! In fact- our power went out so we were very thankful for that wood burning fireplace! The kids were all here - the 'grands' all little. ( except Alli who was not yet born!) We all made our beds in front of the fireplace that night! :) It was an adventure for us...lol- however- I was happy the power was restored in time to do that big turkey for Christmas day!

Back to my favorite tree... I liked the cedar trees because of the Christmasy look. They just look like they should be growing 'up north' and have snow on their branches! LOL- (not to happen often here!) On a trip to Tennessee I saw these trees growing in wooded areas and, so, wanted some for our new place! Charles and SIL, Marc, dug this one up to plant here! It was transplanted as no more than a 2 foot tall sapling! :) I love this tree - it produces warm, Christmasy, feelings for me!

Today is one of those chilly and foggy days as the pic of Charles shows! The one of me was taken last weekend! (a sunny day)





















Here is a picture of brothers, Dan and Brian, (Grandsons) hauling firewood for one of our early winter bonfires! :) ( ages about 3 and 5 yrs)


What a pair those 2 were!! :)

...but not to ever be outdone by the 2 younger 'Grands', Zach and Alli!

This is a pic of me (Ginga) with my 2 youngest 'grands,' Alli and Zach- almost grown up! This was, I think, 3 years ago at Zach's house in Orlando!






NOW...back to my Santa decorating project...


Love,

Junie

aka-Ginga

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 3:05 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

What a gorgeous tree that Cedar is Junie....it's gigantic. I can imagine what a stunning sight it must have been all lit-up with lights. I love seeing big trees decorated for Xmas....inside and out.

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks Joy,

One of my favorite things- decorated or not! :)


Junie

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I don't think I've ever seen such a beautifully shaped cedar tree THAT TALL. At first I thought it was a spruce because our neighbor has a blue spruce about that tall that they used to decorate with different colored lights.

To me Christmas lights need to be different colors...red, green, blue, red, yellow and so on. I'm not too keen on white lights unless they are the ones that hang from the roof line representing snow.
I can just imagine your cedar tree with beautiful colored lights all over it. What a sight! Can we send you over a cherry picker? I think it would still be a monumental job to decorate...But boy, wouldn't it be breathtaking.

 
At 10:02 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Sandy,

Yes, I don't see them grow this big in Tn- from where we got this one. Maybe the difference in the climate...

I like all colored lights too- better than white! We always used mixed colors and it was so beautiful! But it just got too big! :(

 
At 10:37 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I didn't even know that cedar could grow that tall! Such a beautiful tree, Junie, and huge!! We have cedar hedges in front of our house and in fact I cut some branches off today to make a pine and cedar filled basket:-) I so enjoyed seeing all the pictures! xox

 
At 5:57 AM , Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Junie, Wow Your Cedar tree is so big and beautiful, i shut my eyes and can see it covered in coloured Fairy lights oohh what a sight it would make....

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

Beautiful tree JR. Maybe you could hire someone with a cherry picker to come and decorate the beast. It would only cost maybe a grand. :)
You have the same warm fuzzy feelings for being stormed in as my wife.
I don't have those same feelings.

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Pea,

I have been surprised that the tree grew that big! I loved when we could still manage to put lights on it...but even without I still think it's very pretty!

I saw the arrangement you made with your cedar branches- Very pretty!


Junie

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Cliff,

Charles suggested one passed year that he might be able to get someone out to decorate! :) But I said- never mind! (haha- like he really would have , anyway!)

Well... I like the idea of 'wintering in' but of course I have no experience with what a cold climate is really like! Ocala, Fl isn't really it! haha I just like to play at the winter thing here.


JR

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks! Yes it was a beautiful sight when we were able to string lights on it!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home