Junie's Place: George Carlin (May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008)

Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin (May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008)


George Denis Patrick Carlin

American stand-up comedian, actor and author

(May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008)





I was saddened to hear of George Carlin's death last night!

I have always found his stand-up comedy routines entertaining, if somewhat 'over the top' at times! :) He believed in 'pushing the envelope,' ...to use a popular term...

As I have grown 'older' I've come to realize just how important our freedom of speech is to me - and should be to everyone! George Carlin always embraced this belief and right!

George Carlin looked at the world honestly and gave it all back to us in a no holds barred and very funny fashion... sharp edged at times - but always funny!


~~~

This is an excerpt from


http://ap.google.com/hostednews/img/ap_logo.gif?hl=en

Associated Press~Keith St.Clair

He says in this writing about Carlin...

"In one of his most famous routines, Carlin railed against euphemisms he said have become so widespread that no one can simply "die."

'Older' sounds a little better than 'old,' doesn't it?," he said. "Sounds like it might even last a little longer. ... I'm getting old. And it's OK. Because thanks to our fear of death in this country I won't have to die — I'll 'pass away.' Or I'll 'expire,' like a magazine subscription. If it happens in the hospital they'll call it a 'terminal episode.' The insurance company will refer to it as 'negative patient care outcome.' And if it's the result of malpractice they'll say it was a 'therapeutic misadventure."

~~~

So George Carlin has 'passed Away,' or 'expired,' at the too young age of 71 years!

He will be missed.


Junie

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 12:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

George Carlin ... an American classic :)

No matter what your thoughts of his latter 'stuff', when he became 'bitter' ... his early and mid-life *stuff* was always edgy, always entertaining, and always right on target :)

Carlin pushed the envelope to the n'th degree of what we all thought about but didn't dare have the gumption to actually say in public, and he did it in a comical manner.

A true American icon has passed away, and to that true American icon who's soul is right now up there being judged by St Peter himself, I give you this quick (paraphrased) quip from the C-man:

********
Carlin: Imagine you died and went to heaven? You get to the Pearly Gates and its all lots of clouds and yellow vertical lines and very beautiful and all ... then you get to meet Saint Peter ...

Saint Peter: "(silence)"

Carlin: "Awww no, I wasn't that bad ... was I ?

Saint Peter: "(silence)"

Carlin: "OK, how many times did I take the Lord's name in vain?"

Saint Peter: "(silence)"

Carlin: "A million six ?? Jeezus Chr ......... "

********

Rest in Peace, Mr Carlin ... hope St Peter wasn't that hard on ya :)


MM

 
At 1:12 AM , Blogger Carletta said...

What a beautiful tribute Junie. He certainly will be missed. I had just read his quote today on the word "die". It was something to smile about in times of saddness.

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, MM, for your comments.

I, too, hope St.Peter gave the guy a break. :)

All those laughs he gave us over the years have to count for something! ;)
(Something good, I hope!)


Junie

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Carletta,

Yes, he certainly was a talented comedy guy- one of the best ever!

I had just recently gotten into watching a lot of his routines on Youtube with a friend. We enjoyed that and I'm so glad we did it, especially with his 'passing,' now!

The guy was very funny and had such a long and successful career...
He will be missed and remembered.


Junie

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger Donna said...

I watched him on, In The Actors Studio, last night....He'll be missed!!hughugs

 
At 8:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Junie,

My mistake, that St Peter joke wasn't Carlin as much as it was Steve Martin ... I realized it only after pushing the "post" button and then it was too late to take back. Oh well, can we say that it was in the *spirit* of George Carlin? /grin

Sorry for the mix-up

MM

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Carlin got a bit blue at times but was a comic genius, especially concerning society! Did you ever see or hear his routine about (excuse the spelling please) Mahammad Ali when he refused to go to Viet Nam. The logic and thought process of that routine is classic Carlin. We'll miss him and his irreverance

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

MM,

Well, I wouldn't have known the difference!
:) Actually, it sounds more like Carlin than Steve Martin, don't you think?

Anyway, we can still hope St. Peter gives Carlin a good review! Yes? :)


Thanks for dropping by again.


Junie Rose

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Doug,

I just found that routine on Youtube! :) The one I found was on the Mike Douglas show-'71 I believe. There may be others of that one, also.

Yes- he certainly was a comic genius!


Thanks for your comments, Doug!

Hope things are well with you these days.

Junie

 
At 9:07 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Donna,


Carlin~~~ one of the funniest comics I have ever seen!

Yes- he will be missed by many!


Junie

 
At 11:18 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I was also saddened by his death, I was always a big fan of his and loved watching him whenever he appeared on tv. I even have his original "Seven Words You Can't Say On Television" record! Everything he said made sense and although I know some people thought he went too far at times, I always admired him for telling like it is!!! xoxo

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Pea,


Thanks for your comments.


I have been finding a lot of his videos and - yes- he was one of the greatest comedy performers that I have ever seen.


Hugs))


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home