Junie's Place: Soup's On!

Friday, June 20, 2008

Soup's On!

Tomorrow we are having the Orlando kids here. (Daughter-Tammy, SIL- Terry and Grandson, Zach)

It will be a belated Father's Day celebration, since they couldn't come last week. Zach was on a trip to NC at that time! I'm looking forward to hearing about his travels and seeing some pictures! :)

I don't expect my other grand boys (Dan and Brian) will be able to be here as they will probably have to work!
Alli will be here but Tina also will be working. I hope she's able to be off early enough to visit with us for a little, anyway. Marc, of course, will not be here either.

~~~I miss the old days when we could ALL be together at these gatherings ~ but things change!~~~

~~~

My son, Chris, is on a road trip with a friend , to Pa. They went to visit with Chris' cousins and they are all going to Pittsburgh for a Monster Movie Festival event! It's a yearly event which my nephews have attended several times in the past but this will be the 1st. time for Chris! All of these guys (our boys/men) have always been BIG Monster/Old movie buffs! I know they are having a great time!

The link above tells a little about this event!

Dang!!
That's something I'd enjoy, too! How come I never get invited to the fun things! Hey! You
never get too old for Monster Movies!!

(Lol- Maybe next year my sis and I will tag along with the 'boys!' ;)

~~~

I am making a big pot of chicken soup for dinner. We love this, made from scratch,
(lol- pardon the pun!~lol~ chicken ...scratch - Get it??)
Anyway, we DO like this soup a lot...and...since I needed to buy a pk. of chicken for making chicken salad for tomorrow it was more economical to buy a BIG pk. of chicken breasts. Half went for my salad and half for my pot of soup!

The way I make this soup varies according to what veggies I have handy...

I first boil my chicken pieces , with salt and pepper and parsley flakes, until it's coming off the bones. Remove bones.
(and you can use what pieces that you happen to have...even a whole chicken)

Then add, chopped onions, cut up celery pieces, chopped carrots.

I let this cook awhile before adding chopped up potatoes. (these first veggies take longer to cook.)

I add additional salt and pepper to each addition of veggies. Seems easier to get the amounts right that way, for me!

The last stage is to add the canned veggies...

Today I added a can of green beans and a can of corn and a big can of tomatoes! (Add a little extra salt for the tomatoes.) Sometimes I use green peas and/or lima beans instead of the green beans!

Of course, frozen or fresh veggies can also be used, but the canned works fine, too.

...And ~ here it is!! :)
Yummy!
I think the girls will be coming up to help us eat it!



~~~

Later tonight I will be putting together my food for tomorrow!

...just my usual...potato salad- chicken salad and a ham...oh ~ and some deviled eggs!


Got my plan, so I better get on with it!



Junie Rose

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:38 PM , Blogger dot said...

Oh, that looks so good! Hope you enjoy having your family.

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'll be right over for a bowl of that yummy looking soup! I love homemade soup:-) It sounds like you have a lovely day to look forward to tomorrow..enjoy your company!! That Movie Festival sounds like a lot of fun and like you, I would so enjoy being there for it. I was reading who will be there to sign autographs...gosh, even Donna Douglas who played Ellie Mae in the Beverly Hillbillies!! xoxo

 
At 6:09 AM , Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Dear Junie,, Your soup looks so yummy.
Have a wonderful wonderful day with your family....

 
At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... that does look delicious and tomorrows (today, now) sounds delicious...

Have a ton of fun with the family!

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Donna said...

LOL...I like monster movies to!!!
That soup looks WONDERFUL!!! I'll be trying that one!!! Happy day sweetie visiting!!hughugs

 
At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soup looks so yummo!!
Have a good time with your family.
Thanks for coming by my blog and mentioning the mix in the bag margarine I was beginning to think I might have imagined this, I was really young at the time.
Diane

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Sally said...

YUMMY, is there any left? Now, I think that is exactly what I'll make today!!!

 
At 4:05 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks all, for visiting!


Sorry, I'm behind with blog visiting , with all that's been going on here recently!

I'll try to get caught up soon.

As always, I appreciate ALL of your visits and comments!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home