Junie's Place: New counters!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

New counters!





My back yard today!

I love the way this trellis looks these days, with the Coral Honeysuckle vine on it.
LOL~ but this time I just focused on the sun face and the sky!



~~~~



And...some good news...


Today the guys got our new counters installed! Sooner than I expected... but it worked out good for us, since Charles has less to do on the weekends with the hay hauling- etc- and could be here while the work was going on.

As one might expect, knowing the history of our projects ;) ...we ran into some unexpected problems and extra expense! Turns out, our sinks - which I was perfectly happy to keep and re-install with the new counters - had rusted out because of a leak and couldn't be used anymore. Also the garbage disposal had cracked! Yikes! An extra few hundred dollars added on! :( We also got a very nice- TALL- faucet set-up, which I really like a lot!

I just am thrilled with this improvement in my kitchen! I will show some before and after pics...just so you can see how much better it is! Oh! I still have a lot to do to get things back in order...and I intend to throw out a lot of stuff to make more room in my cabinets- to lessen the junk that tends to accumulate on the counter top!

I really like the extension of the counter where I had a small table before for the phone. It is a big enough space for 2 bar stools- which can be pushed underneath when not in use! We'll have to shop for those soon.

:) I'm happy with this job! The counters are of Corian - a very durable material that looks like marble but much easier to care for.

I love having the brick all level with the sink and be rid of that high wall that separated the 2 parts of the kitchen. It will be an adjustment, not having a back splash at the sink, but I'll get used to that!

Here are some pics- of before- during and after!

You can see in these 2 pictures, how high the brick was, separating the kitchen from the eating area.












Here is the wall after Charles had removed the necessary bricks. The sink is directly behind that small back splash wall.





And here is the counter, as of late today- with the brick level with the sink with the counter on top of it all. This gives me a little serving/passing ledge for food etc- AND- LOL- I don't feel so penned in as I did behind that brick wall!

And I DO love the extension of the counter for the phone.














Hope you've all had a good weekend. I'll catch up with all your blogs ASAP.


Junie

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 1:05 AM , Blogger Eve said...

It looks great. I remember the first thing I did when we moved into our first home was remove the bar thingie seperating the kitchen from the living area. I felt so closed in.
I do gardening and crafts too. I love Summer because of the fresh veggies and flowers. I live on the MS Gulf Coast not too far from you. Gulfport to be exact. And the first thing I though about in June was Hurricanes. I hope we get blessed this year and it is a quite season..Come viist me,,,I am on blogspot too. I have a square foot garden.

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Sally said...

Oh, I love it!! Looks so pretty. I'm very happy for you, Junie!! The counter matches the colors in the brick so well. You have great taste!!

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Carletta said...

I love that top photo!
Your kitchen looks great. I do like it better. Great job.

 
At 3:54 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Eve,

Thanks so much for visiting...always happy to have new folks come by!


Oh, yah! I always dread the hurricane season - however, where we are is not as dangerous as it is closer to the coast. We were in Miami for most of our life until 20 years ago and saw a lot of storms!

I'm enjoying the new counters- trying to get things organized and rearranged.

I'll be visiting you soon- Thanks again for coming by!



Junie

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks,


Sally and Carletta,

Yep- I'm real pleased with the counters! LOL- Just wish they were paid for already! Oh, well!!



Junie

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger dot said...

Not only does your kitchen look great but so does that nanner puddin! I like the young man on the unicycle too. You have some action in your kitchen! lol

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Fred said...

It looks great! The Missus and I want to remodel our kitchen sometime next year, but we're not exactly sure what we're doing yet. I think I just picked up a few ideas, though.

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Dot,

:) Oh yah! Nanner puddin' is ONE of the things I'm famous for! hahaha I ALWAYS make it at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

And that boy on the unicycle is Zach, my youngest grandson! (almost 21 now!) He got real good on that unicycle too! He can also juggle stuff...all that goes on in the kitchen or where ever the urge hits him! :)


I'm enjoying the new counters more and more!


Junie

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Fred,


:) Thanks for looking and glad you like the counters! I think they look great with the brick- and I'm glad to have that brick wall cut down to size!! :)



Junie

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Junie, your countertops DO look like mine, and I love the brick! That looks very nice together :)

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, Carolyn,

:) I was amazed at how close our choices for our counters were!

(We (you and I) got good tastes,ehh?? :) )


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home