Junie's Place: Sultans of Swing ~ Dire Straits

Friday, August 22, 2008

Sultans of Swing ~ Dire Straits






This is what I've been doing tonight!  I can't seem to get enough of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler!  This is absolutely the most exciting band I have discovered in all my searches!

And THIS is one of the best Vids I have found of this song- tho there are several others!  Don't know what year this was, but it is the original Dire Straits!  (I think so, anyway!)

Wow!  Doesn't matter, because these guys are the best ever on this video!! Mark Knopfler is tops!!  He was back then and still is, IMO!

LOL-  You'll all have to forgive my wild enthusiasm  ;)... and for something I'm sure many/MOST of you knew all along! That being... what a wide range of  great music is out there!

Just in recent years I have been really discovering  all the wonderful music that I didn't have time for or wasn't inclined to get to know, when it fist came to be! 

Have to say-Dire Straits is at the top of my favorites list right now!  Mark Knopfler is  among the best guitarist that I have come across!

Look- You might say I'm not an expert since I don't play an instrument of any kind myself...but -hey- I know what I like!  I know what sounds good to me!  I know when music just captures me ...and I want to hear it over and over...and want to share it with all I know....then ...to me it's as good as it gets!!  :)

Tell me true!!  Have you ever heard better music?  :)

Who loves Mark Knopfler?? 

  ME!! Me!!!   ;)

Here are the lyrics!  Lets sing along with the band!  :)


~~~

Sultans of Swing

Mark Knopfler


You get a shiver in the dark

It's raining in the park but meantime

South of the river you stop and you hold everything

A band is blowing Dixie double four time

You feel alright when you hear that music ring


You step inside but you don't see too many faces

Coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down

Too much competition too many other places

But not too many horns can make that sound

Way on downsouth way on downsouth London town


You check out Guitar George he knows all the chords

Mind he's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing

And an old guitar is all he can afford

When he gets up under the lights to play his thing


And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene

He's got a daytime job he's doing alright

He can play honky tonk just like anything

Saving it up for Friday night

With the Sultans with the Sultans of Swing


And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner

Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles

They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band

It ain't what they call rock and roll

And the Sultans played Creole


And then the man he steps right up to the microphone

And says at last just as the time bell rings

'Thank you goodnight now it's time to go home'

And he makes it fast with one more thing



Junie Rose



Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 12:38 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you like them and I admire your enthusiasm for music! Actually the music part is okay, but I don't care for the singing! I never heard of them before now.

Of course I do like Dan Fogelberg!!

 
At 6:21 AM , Blogger Margie's Musings said...

Sorry! I like Harry Connick Jr.

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Rachel,


Mark Knopfler DOES have a unique sounding voice- but I like it! Love his guitar work!!


Oh- Dan Fogelberg will always remain very dear to my heart, and none will ever take his place as far as my all time -lifetime-favorite.

It's just that in exploring other music I've found a LOT that I like and never knew of before.

It all can be appreciated for it's own, unique sound.

:) I'm glad I've found the music to explore at this point in my life! LOL- You see...all these OLD bands and singers are Brand new to me!! :) How lucky for me, ehhh?


Junie

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Margie,

Thanks for visiting me!


I agree, Harry Connick Jr. is very good . My son likes him a lot.


Junie

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger Sally said...

I love to hear about music appreciation, but I'm probably the wierdest you know. I LOVE country, and I LOVE opera! hahaha

Hope you're getting some sunshine today; we had a little for a little. hhahahha

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Sounds like you are feeling better and enjoying your music. I like country, too, and gospel and bluegrass. Guess that is from my Kentucky roots!

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Sally

and

Judy,

I , too, was raised on country music, as all my family are from the deep south. (I still do like some country)

Always liked it in my young days...in my teens ELVIS came along and I liked that early Rock N roll!

I got married very young...about the time of The Beatles and all the changes in the world of music... Being a young mom I never really followed the music of those early days-and , especially, since my husband only liked country and bluegrass! That's all we listened to- except some FOLK such as Peter, Paul and Mary- & Kingston Trio, which we both liked! :)

Then the early 70's I discovered DAN FOGELBERG and a few others of the soft rock sound! (music that my then teen age son thought I would like!)..I never even explored the loud Rock n Roll of that time!

:) NOW- I AM having fun getting into a lot of different music!


Junie

 
At 12:37 AM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I thoroughly appreciate a great guitarist, especially since my dad and my son are both guitarists. I grew up listening to my dad play nearly every evening after work and on the weekends. He always played at church, and now my son plays all the time too.
It's wonderful!
I'm listening to the video you posted as I write this comment. Yep, that's terrific guitar playing!
I'm going to share my son's myspace page on my blog soon because he just put up his band's page when I was in CA. You can check it out if you'd like.
Here's Taylor's band's myspace page:
myspace.com/crownjeweldefense
I hope you enjoy his guitar playing and singing.
It's good to be back home and back to blogging and visiting my blog buddies!!
I think it's wonderful that you have those night blooming Cereus too, also, as well.

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger maryt/theteach said...

Well, Junie you do indeed rock! :)

 
At 5:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Junie,
Glad to see you've seen the light and realised how wonderfully Mark Knopfler plays. It's a shame you've just missed his tour of North America, he's far better live than through a computer, CD, radio...
I've seen both Dire Straits live in the 80's and Mark live earlier this year. The music is just as good now as then.
Clive

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

CLIVE,

Thanks for your comments here...but doubt if you will check back to read this and you didn't leave a website or blog site!

Oh! I DID get to see Mark Knopfler on his current tour in Atlanta last month! I agree-'Mark Knopfler is wonderful!'

It's true, I only just recently (well, the past year or so) got into DIRE STRAITS and Knopfler, but I can say Mark Knopfler is a great talent; probably the best guitarist I have come across! :)


Junie

 
At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Junie,
Surprise! I do come back and see if there's an answer to my comment :-)

I'm glad you managed to see the man play live. He really can play.

When I was doing my Masters, I'd play 'Alchemy' on headphones to help me write my thesis. At three in the morning, it both kept me awake and helped my enthusiasm! My wife bought us tickets to see Dire Straits play at the NEC in Birmingham (England). It was brilliant! Since then, we've seen him play at several venues in two countries finishing with going back to see him play at the NEC again earlier this year as part of our silver wedding celebrations.
Looking through the list of locations he played this year, we'd have loved to see him play at this place http://www.redrocksonline.com/.
Clive

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home