Junie's Place: Poem: Last Goodbye

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Poem: Last Goodbye



This is a poem I wrote at the time when my kids were growing up...
The picture, of course, is after they WERE grown up to young adulthood.


Left to Right:
Tina -Christopher-Tammy
(probably 1986)





Last Goodbye


For so many years our home was right here,
in each of our lives, most precious and dear.

These walls, how they echo the past, oh so clear.
My children’s sweet chatter, I almost can hear!

These walls have observed as each child has changed.
Their lives are now different. It’s all re-arranged.

They’re each on their own with their new lives to make!
I wish I could stay here, if just for their sake!

It’s only a house, with much too much space,
so lonely, forlorn; this fact I must face!

This empty house is no longer a home,
Yet, love and contentment these four walls have known.

Still, these empty rooms have so much to say…
so many sweet memories…I wish I could stay!


June Kellum

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:07 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

I see you found the poem. It's beautiful. As you know, I understand exactly what you mean. You have three great kids there Junie.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Yes, your poem reminded me so much of this one-and another one I wrote (which I didn't find!!) ;)

Actually, the date on this poem was '74-so it was a few years before my kids started leaving the nest! But I guess I just knew how it was gonna be! :( and it turned out to be just as I had imagined !

I have always been proud of my kids-AND my 4 grandkids!

My life!! :)

Junie

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Peter said...

That is a nice little poem June, you can be proud of your talent and your kids.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

momma-mary,

Thanks for reading my poem and for your comments.

I guess instead of being SAD it's over it's better to be HAPPY we had the experience! :)

...Family is 'everything' to me!

June

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home