Junie's Place: Music Choices

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Music Choices

I had a very fine few hours of music listening last night
and as unlikely as the 2 choices might seem it worked out well!!

I started out with the sweet music of Sarah McLachlan. I played 'Surfacing' first.
Got a little sad with some of the lyrics...


Some lyrics from the song-

'Do What You Have To Do'

Trying to escape this desire
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do

But I have the sense to recognize
That I don’t know how
To let you go
I don’t know how
To let you

within I’m shaken by the violence
Of existing for only you
I know I can’t be with you
I do what I have to do...





...Then I played 'Afterglow' by Sarah. This is probably my favorite of her CDs


some lyrics from

'Fallen'

...Truth be told I've tried my best
But somewhere along the way
I got caught up in all there was to offer
And the cost was so much more than I could bear

Though I've tried, I've fallen...
I have sunk so low
I have messed up
Better I should know
So don't come round here
And tell me I told you so...

This lady's music just touches me so...



Well, to top off the late night of music I played Disk one of 'Live At Leeds", by the great "WHO!"
What could be better than the original ' WHO ' IN CONCERT?



Some lyrics of The Who's Pete Townshend:


'Substitute'

You think we look pretty good together
You think my shoes are made of leather

But I'm a substitute for another guy
I look pretty tall but my heels are high
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated, yeah


Substitute me for him
Substitute my coke for gin
Substitute you for my mum
At least I'll get my washing done


(...And you thought PETE wasn't a sensitive guy... :) )





Great night of music!! :)

Junie

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 5:13 PM , Blogger LJ said...

Wow. Been a long time since I heard that Pete Townshend song. Those are some pretty fabulous lyrics, aren't they?

I love Sarah too. She used to go to the art college where I work - and all I remember is her singing for herself in the entrance area right next to the library when no one was there. A person would remember that, don't you think?

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

LOL- The Who were/are fabulous- period!!

Somehow-I escaped all that good stuff at the time it was happening! (the music of the late 60s &70s) I was busy being a mom in those days! Am filling all the empty spaces now, in my old age! Having a ball, too! :) Thanks to some music friends I have found!

Very cool that you knew Sarah! I have seen her 2 times in concert! A wonderful talent-I love her writings! She speaks directly to my soul- or FROM my soul, it seems! :)

Thanks for your visit!

Junie

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

Love Sarah M...and particularly love "Do What You Have To Do." Great song. I listened to Sarah a couple of nights ago....she really mellows you out, doesn't she?

 
At 6:42 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

;)

More and more Sarah fans popping up!

Yes, Sarah is just great!

LOL- but isn't it amazing I could go from smooth, sweet Sarah in the early evening and end the night with
'The Who?!

Probably should have been the other way around!

Junie

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger Skye said...

I'm a big Sarah fan too, Junie. I don't own a single one of her albums, though! Silly me...

Now I know what to ask for for my birthday! :)

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Oh, my!!
Another Sarah fan!

Lol- maybe we should start a Sarah fan club in our blogging circle!
I have 4 of her CDs, I think, maybe more!

I like Sarah's writing because she writes of feelings we all have experienced! (Or, at least that's the way I see it)
... and her voice is that of an angel!

Junie

 
At 3:34 AM , Blogger Merle said...

Hi June ~~ You are having some great music nights. I love The Who as well
and Sarah has a beautiful voice, as you say the voice of an angel.
Glad you liked my joke. Cheers.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi, Merle,

:) Seems we all like the same music!!

Yes, I have been having so good music nights recently!

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger madameplushbottom said...

I was just listening to sarah this morning while talking to my *friend*. :) Meg

 
At 3:40 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Meg,

I did another LOOONG Sarah listen last night with a friend, also!

Sarah's lyrics touch me as few writers can! She's so REAL!

JUNIE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home