Junie's Place: Charles' Birthday ( post #2 of today ~ #1 see below)

Monday, March 31, 2008

Charles' Birthday ( post #2 of today ~ #1 see below)




Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. He will be 73!

I am just 6 years behind him so I guess neither of us are 'Spring Chickens' anymore, ehh!

We have plans for the week-end to celebrate with the family in Orlando, but tomorrow Charles and I will go out for a nice dinner - just the two of us! We haven't decided where to go yet.

~~~

Today I went out to see Charlie's latest 'find' and was pleased with what he's
drug home this time! :) As I may have mentioned, Charles loves old things- especially old farm implements. Well, anything of metal from the past grabs his attention! As it happens (and a good thing it's this way, for us both) I also like all this old stuff. It isn't often we come across these very old and interesting things so when we do it's an event and a big deal! Never mind that it's something most people wouldn't even want around their place...We like old stuff - junk , even! :)

He saw these wheels in the yard of an unoccupied house. There was a 'For Sale ' sign on the property so he called and got permission to take these 2 old iron wheels- at no charge!!

OK- that's all fine and good...except they weigh, he estimates, about 400 lbs ...plus they had an iron rod welded on them and were cemented into the ground about 3 feet! No way would a little thing like that stop Charles! He dug them up and with a little help from some neighbors there, loaded them onto his trailer and brought them home.

With his tractor he's able to move them around . They are so heavy he can't stand them upright from the ground, except with the use of the tractor!

What he has in mind is to set them at the edge of our wildflower meadow - in line with 4 other heavy metal wheels he has - as a sort of separation between our yard and the meadow. The six wheels will be spaced several feet apart, with these two 'new ' ones that he found as the ones in the center. It will be kind of an entrance leading into the flower meadow! :)

Well, I like the idea but I may not be explaining it to make it easily understood just what we plan to do here!
Trust me! It will look cool!!

I made some pics of one of the wheels. He thinks they are from old road grading equipment- circa - 1930-1940 . They stand about 4 ft. tall and the rims are at least 8 inches wide!
He first said he wanted to paint them with the John Deer yellow...but I would prefer to keep them all in their natural 'rust' state! I love the contrast between the old rust and my delicate meadow flowers!






















( click on photos to enlarge )



NOTE:

OK- You see the kind of things Charles likes...and it makes it kind of hard to shop for birthday gifts for him! :)

~~~~


I have always wished we could have a Gazebo in my wildflower meadow! That would be grand, indeed!


Junie

( just dreaming ...We all need fantasies, right? )

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

21 Comments:

At 5:51 PM , Blogger Jean said...

I LOVE your wheels but don't put any paint on them! They are great with the chippy paint and rust. I can't wait to see pictures when they're where you want them. I love old junk too. I have a rusty iron crib ends for a fence behind one of my gardens.

 
At 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom- Tell Dad I love the wheels!! But DO NOT paint them!!

Tell him PAINT is not the answer to everything!!

Tammy

 
At 6:51 PM , Blogger Carletta said...

I'm with Charlie - love old things! They were free - how wonderful.

Happy Birthday to Charlie - hope you both have a lovely dinner!

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There are some old wheels at the cottage; they are highly photographed.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Tell Hubby Happy Birthday!! Love those old wheels! hughugs

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Tammy!!


So good to see you here! LOL- Yes- I will tell Dad - No Paint!!
In fact , I DID already!

I just LOVE the looks of those wheels with the wildflowers in the background!

Love,

Mom

PS- Looking forward to the weekend and seeing everyone again!

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, all , for looking at the wheels-and for your comments! Seems most favor leaving them natural! :)

I hope he will do it that way!Thanks also for the birthday greetings for C. I'll pass them on to him!


Junie

 
At 8:22 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I agree about leaving them unpainted. Iron will naturally 'patina' in the weather and looks pretty! I love those old things too. I used to have one of those big farm rakes on wheels that you pulled behind a tractor in my yard (unpainted of course). I loved it.

Happy Birthday to Charles :)

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for coming by. I think these wheels are just perfect for our country setting here- and left unpainted!

Thanks for the B'Day greetings too. I'll pass them on to him!


Hugs))


Junie

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger Kelli said...

I love your old wheels, Junie! Happy Birthday to your husband, I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating!
~Kelli

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger mreddie said...

Happy birthday to Charles - and me, my B/D is the 1st also. I like the old wheels also. ec

 
At 12:01 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

I can see I'd have to take inventory if Charles ever visits this farm. We have many old farm pieces that would interest him. And me. I'm going to go in search of a website for a sale that would make him drool. It's unbeliebable. I shall return.

 
At 12:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell Charles a big happy birthday from me. Tell him that I turned 73 a little over a month ago and it didn't hurt a bit! (smile)

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks for your good wishes for my husband's birthday, Kelli.

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Mr Eddie,

Thanks for your B'Day wishes for Charles!

And Happy Birthday to you too! Sorry I hadn't remembered yours but i remember now ! (I remembered you share my husband's B'Day but you share my birth YEAR-1941- RIGHT? )

About those old wheels- I think they are pretty neat looking in that wildflower field!


Junie

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Cliff,


:) Yah- if you see Charles coming round with an empty trailer behind his truck- watch out! Seriously, I know he'd be thrilled to have a look at your farm operation and all your farm equipment etc...

(wish we could make the Blogstock '08 event)

Thanks for that website too. I haven't yet had a chance to look at it but I will and I'll be sure to show it to Charles!

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Momma (Mary)

Thanks! I told Charles and he smiled at what you said! (about it not hurting1)

Junie

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love those kinds of things. Those wheels look so neat. I'm glad Charles got them.

 
At 3:54 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) yah- I like them too!

He worked on them today and got the 2 new heavy ones positioned where he wants them.



Junie

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Sandi McBride said...

I love old things like this too...old plow shares, ancient bicycles, anything with a coating of rust...why are we like that? Hope there will be photos of the meadow when you finish up!

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congrats to Charles, but I didn't know that he was on "drugs". ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home