Junie's Place: "Daffodils" (1804)

Saturday, March 01, 2008

"Daffodils" (1804)

( a favorite poem of mine~ ENJOY! )




"Daffodils" (1804)


I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).



~~~

Love,
Junie


Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I won't claim to be very well versed (so to speak) in poetry, but I could guess pretty early on that was WW.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I have always loved reading this poem...can close my eyes and see those daffodils swaying in the breeze.


Junie

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger Skye said...

Hooray! I second that! :) Yay for daffodils!!!

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Skye!

I KNOW you love Daffodils! Me too! :)


Junie Rose

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Junie , love the verse Daffodils, it was taught in our schools many moons ago..

 
At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a lovely poem which presents a beautiful vision to the mind's eye with great clarity. Oh that I would have that ability to bring to life a vision with such grace.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Margaret said...

Hi, thanks for reminding me of one of my favourite poems. Thanks for you visit also I really love daffodils too.
Cheers Margaret

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Shelley said...

How lovely Junie. Wordsworth is one of my favorites and so are daffodils.

They are just starting to bloom here.

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My daughter and I went to our local gardens yesterday. They have daffodils on display. We took pictures. I know we will go again several more times this spring. I bought a membership there, so I can go walking a few times a week and get some exercise in a very lovely and safe place.
The tulips will be blooming soon!
What joy spring flowers bring!!!!!

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, all you ladies, for your comments!


Seems we all love Wordsworth's poem - AND the Daffodils, too!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home