Junie's Place: Spider Skeleton...

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Spider Skeleton...


This was a first for me...


OK- a couple weeks ago Charles and I were looking at this BIG spider and web under the over-hang of the carport. We often see this type of spider around our place and they grow pretty big, as these pictures show!









At first glance there appeared to be 2 BIG spiders in this web...along with the remains of past meals! I realized one of the spiders was not moving at all and Charles-fearlessly- reached up and plucked this spider from the web!
( Sorry-I did not think about a picture before he removed it.)

I, at first, thought one big spider had eaten the other one, leaving the outer shell.
LOL! ( Well-I had never seen this before!)

Actually, what this was was the skeleton of the living spider! I didn't know this...as spiders are a recent interest for me...but spiders Molt-shed the outer shell- so as to grow bigger! :) I find this very cool!!


Here is a site that explains all of this!

Here are the pictures! Aren't they neat looking! This is the discarded outer shell!
This is Charles and me , with the spider shell!
~~Yep-That's my hand!! :) ~~

And- Yep- that spider wants to grow even bigger!!






I was thrilled to have found this nature treasure and put it aside in my craft/junk room with intentions of putting it in a little box later, for safe keeping!

:( I discovered it gone today! I guess it must have gotten thrown out with the old newspapers!

But I'll be looking for my next one!! :)



Junie

( Spider Woman)

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:55 PM , Blogger b13 said...

Oh wow! Visit Skull a day through my links and send Noah that last image! It surely looks like a skull on that spider's back. Awesome photos!

 
At 10:59 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:{ It DOES look like a skull, doesn't it!!

I'll try to get to sending it to your blog friend...or he could come visit me here-

I thought it was cool- finding that empty spider shell!!!


Junie

 
At 11:19 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Amazing! Whodathunkit!

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)




Thanks,AC!

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger earthlingorgeous said...

Oh my! You gave me goosebumps the pic where the spider was crawling on Charles arms? Yikes! But great photo's though :)

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Earthling....


:) but that's not the LIVE spider- just the shell that it left behind!


Thanks for visiting.


Junie

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Oh, my goodness, Junie. I got goosebumps just looking at the picture. I am scared to death of even a tiny spider. They are such sneaky little creatures.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Judy,

:) I don't mind spiders at a respectable distance! Lol- I have a good zoom on my camera!

I DO find them very interesting to watch- outside!....But I don't like finding them in my house!


Junie

 
At 3:55 PM , Blogger Fred said...

Wow...that's pretty cool. I had no idea spiders did that.

I love coming to your blog because the first thing I see is your spectacular picture on top. I love it.

 
At 7:26 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Fred,

Yes- that was a surprise for me too- that spider shell-:)


I'm happy you like my fall photo- header! I love that picture too! Wish I was there right now!!



Junie

 
At 12:25 AM , Blogger Carletta said...

Don't think I'd ever want to see that!

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm not a fan of spiders, but those skeleton pics are terrific!!!
What a find!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home