Junie's Place: Weird- Wacky- Wonderful- Warren Zevon

Monday, July 31, 2006

Weird- Wacky- Wonderful- Warren Zevon


Today I have been listening to the weird, wacky and wonderful Warren Zevon!

My son, Chris, surprised me with this CD a couple nights ago. It's a LIVE CD, produced in 1993.
Most of his hits are here.

I love live CDs...I like comparing them with the studio versions of the songs!
This is a good LIVE CD production by Zevon.

Warren Zevon wrote a lot of weird-fun songs-also a lot of very beautiful songs!

This is one of my favorites of the Beautiful ones!


Hasten Down the Wind

(Written by Warren Zevon 1973)

She tells him she thinks she needs to be free
He tells her he doesn't understand
She takes his hand
She tells him nothing's working out the way they planned
She's so many women
He can't find the one who was his friend
So he's hanging on to half her heart
He can't have the restless part
So he tells her to hasten down the wind
Then he agrees he thinks she needs to be free
Then she says she'd rather be with him
But it's just a whim
By which she hopes to keep him on the limb
She's so many women
He can't find the one who was his friend
So he's hanging on to half her heart
He can't have the restless part
So he tells her to hasten down the wind

~~~

Warren Zevon's final album-'The Wind'-( which I have) is heart wrenching and perfect! It was completed while fighting his final battle. He is joined on this album by many well-known artists, including Jackson Browne, Dwight Yoakam, Bruce Springsteen, and others.

Warren Zevon died in 2003, after a long battle with cancer.

~~~

It was good hearing Warren's music today. ( Though, it's left me feeling sad)


Junie

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:01 PM , Blogger Doug Bagley said...

I've never heard of him. Since I respect your musical oppinion I'll have to check him out.

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Doug,

All through the years my son would try to get me into Warren Zevon's music...

During the 70s &80s, I knew who I liked and stuck pretty much to that(which was mostly Dan Fogelberg & Jackson Browne!)

I didn't pay much attention to Zevon until after his death! :( but I really do like his music! Now- you must be prepared as some of his songs are pretty weird - but fun!

You must know "Werewolves of London!"
Right!

BTW- Welcome back to the wide world of bloggibg! :)

Junie

 
At 8:06 PM , Blogger TJ said...

I can't recal that I've ever heard him...my son let me bory a bluegrass CD that I love it is Ironhorse doing Metallica lyrics...I love it and I ain't givin it back!
:-D

 
At 9:00 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Bluegrass is ALL my husband likes!

Classic rock is my favorite music. Love Dan Fogelberg!

Junie

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Merle said...

Hi June ~~ I remember The Werewolves of London but otherwise he is new to me.
Thanks for your comment, glad you like the jokes. Take care, Merle.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Merle,

Zevon was another of those entertainers who came out of California in the 70s
(although he was born in the mid-west)

He died at the young age of 56, of cancer.

I found it admirable that he was determined to finish this last album 'The Wind', knowing he was fighting his final battle.
I also have a DVD of the making of this CD, with all the musicians that worked with him . It's very sad to watch, because he was so obviously very ill!

The album is superb!

June

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home