Junie's Place: Farm Life of the Past: A Gaggle of Geese

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Farm Life of the Past: A Gaggle of Geese


...This is a story that goes WAY back...


A Gaggle of Geese

In the year of 1898, in the area of Waco Tennessee, lived a farm family of a father, mother, two boys and a little sister! The boys were about ages 8 years and 6 years. The sister, little more than a toddler at this time.

The family had recently moved back to Tennessee from Texas, to this farm. The boys, even at this young age, were expected to help out with the things that had to be done around the homeplace.
They had a gaggle of geese that the father needed to have driven to the town to be sold! The brothers, Elwood and Boyd, were given the job of ‘driving’ the geese to market to be sold! The driving of the gaggle of geese was accomplished by a boy on each side, with a long stick, moving them along and keeping them together as a flock. (gaggle)

On the way to the town, ( which was a distance of a couple of miles or more) the boys passed by another farmhouse. The farm lady was very friendly and engaged the boys in a conversation, asking if they were hungry! Of course they said yes, that they were hungry! Farm boys didn’t often turn down good grub when offered! She fixed, for each of them a big plate of butter and molasses!

They ate the sweet and tasty mixture with great gusto! (As the geese grazed the roadside…) Each boy finished every bit on his plate, ending by licking the plate clean! On returning the empty plates to the lady they thanked her for her kindness and told her that the plates wouldn’t need to be washed - that they had already cleaned them!! :)

As the two little boys left to complete their assigned task of driving the geese to town,
I can well imagine the big smile on the kind farm lady’s face, as she watched them leave!

Can’t you? :)


Note: Boyd was my husband’s (Charles) father!

This is a picture of Boyd with James Elizabeth, holding their first grandchild.
(Photo 1948)


June Kellum
July, 2006

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM , Blogger TJ said...

thanks for dropping by my place...I'm so glad I found you!! So Glad!!
You already feel like Homefolk!
:-D
Loved this story and the rest of your blog that I browsed through earlier...come see me any time!

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Tammy,

Thanks for visiting.

If you like this old farm story you might like to check out some of the others, too!...sorry -I'm not very organized here- but the farm stories all begin with'Farm Life of the Past:...' (I think most are in May and June archives.)
Most are from my husband's growing up in Alabama (...but I thought this one that he told about his Dad was cute so I wanted to put it on! :)

I also have one site just for poems-and one about my memories of my Mom who we lost 3 years ago!

ALSO- I have a daughter named Tammy :)
so your name caught my eye!

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home