Junie's Place: A ride in the country and the Reunion! ~ Post #6 ~

Saturday, August 09, 2008

A ride in the country and the Reunion! ~ Post #6 ~

On Friday we left my brother's house pretty early and headed north to Athens.

Here are a few shots of the old town square of Athens. You still get a feel of the past here and I like that. This is where my husband and his family would come on Saturdays and later, in his teens, where C. would come with friends to hang out!


Note on some of the pics:

That old brick wall is fabulous! It's the exterior wall of one building and will be the interior wall of a little courtyard entrance to another shop - or restaurant, maybe! I just love old brick!!

~~~

The UG White Hardware is where Charles' bike came from. (the story of Jake, in several posts, starts -here!)

~~~

This whole town and all of this part of Alabama are BIG Alabama football fans, and you can see the evidence of it painted on most of the storefronts in town! Also on most North Alabama walls you will see pictures of Bear Bryant, the beloved , former Alabama coach!
( My brother's house has "Bear" on the wall!!)

~~~

That statue on the courthouse lawn is a civil war soldier!

~~~

I can imagine the men folk sitting on benches in front of the courthouse, whittling, as all men seemed to do in the past!
(Do men whittle these days? I don't think so!)

Charles says his dad, Mr. Boyd, referred to the gathering of whittling old men in front of the courthouse (of which he was one) as...the Dead Pecker Corner!!

LOL! I know- kinda off color...but I just report... you decide here! :)


~~~



















































~~~

We wanted to have time to ride out in the country to see some of the places of my husband's youth; not that there is much left except the old barns-and the memories! I love that the barns are left ...but I can see a decline in their conditions, from one year to the next!

For instance...this one!

This is the one Charles remembers as the Maples barn and was/is on the place of the over-seer of the farm that my husband's family rented, as well as several other farms in Mud Bottom!

















~~~

Tomorrow I will conclude with a few more country scenes and the reunion pics!


~~


We're having all the kids here tomorrow- so I have stuff to do to prepare! :) Looking forward to a busy but happy day tomorrow!

Have a great Saturday!


Junie Rose

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:35 PM , Blogger dot said...

Hi Junie! Enjoy your post and especially the barn.

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Have FUN tomorrow Miss Junie!!hughugs

 
At 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginga,

I just sent you an email with pictures of my sunflowers. I will try to take some better ones before we come up tomorrow. These are taken with my phone. LOL

Terry

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Terry,

Yes, I got the pictures! Those are very pretty flowers! :)


See you all tomorrow!!! :)


Ginga

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Sally said...

Have a great time tomorrow, Junie with your family. I know how much you enjoy those gatherings.

BTW, my dad's father was a whittler, and I have two pieces of his that I cherish.

Love the old barn!!

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks, Sally

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Enjoy your family. Looks like your trip was great. I love the pictures.

 
At 7:07 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Thanks Judy!

Had a fun day today but I'm very tired at this point! :)


Will wind up the trip pics in my next post!


Hope you
have had a good day!


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home