Junie's Place: So- we begin...

Thursday, January 01, 2009

So- we begin...


Well, here we are on day one of the rest of our lives...or should I just say, "It's
day one of our new year!"

For us here in our north Fl home, it was a good day!

We had our traditional meal of black eyed peas and hog jawl...Actually, C. and I had some of the meat fried for breakfast and then some cooked in the peas and collard greens!

Charles insists on this every New Years Day as it's supposed to bring good luck in the coming year! :) We make it a southern - country meal all the way with cornbread and buttermilk and whatever else we feel like adding! This time I didn't plan for any other meat dish but Tina added a roasted chicken to the table!

The local family members were all here but our kids in Orlando couldn't come again so soon! :( And Marc, of course, is on the road for a few weeks!

Missed them all, but we heard that - just to be on the safe side in the new year - our kids in Orlando also fixed the black eyed peas and hog jawl and greens! ;)
THAT was a relief!

I hope Marc remembered and was able to find what he needed out on the road! ( Marc, my SIL, is a trucker) Hope he was in the south because this is a southern thing! lol- I wonder what folks in other parts of the country-and world- do to ensure good luck in a new year!

Come to think of it... there might be better plans out there than ours, as far as luck goes! :) We'll just see how our luck runs this year!!

Here are some pics of us all and our good luck food!

Oh! That cup of buttermilk with corn bread crumbled in it is mine! That's a favorite from my childhood and I always still have this with our country meals!

Yummy!














































Hope we ALL have a great year in 2009!

Let's make it happen!!



Love,
Junie

( Ginga )

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:02 PM , Blogger MrsDoF said...

Happy New Year, Junie Rose!

the corn bread and milk reminds me of a time I worked in a restaurant in Tennessee
Ya see, I love cherry pie in a bowl with milk on it, almost like eating cereal.

One of my co-workers always ate corn bread in a glass covered in milk.

We were sitting next to each other in the Break Room, each sniffing in disdain at the way the other was eating.
Corn bread in a glass? Cherry Pie in a bowl?

College kids sure can be rude.

Thanks for the memory :)

MrsDoF

 
At 11:07 PM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

black eyed peas and hog jawl

It doesn't sound appetizing to this northerner, but I'll take your word for it. If it brings family together, it can't be all bad. :)

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

Happy New Year, dear Junie:-) I want to go over to your house for breakfast on New Year's Day!!!! lol I've never had black eyed peas but I keep hearing all over Blogland how they're supposed to bring you good luck if eaten on New Year's Day! Loved seeing the pictures, what fun you and your family always have:-) xoxo

 
At 12:28 AM , Blogger Peter said...

Happy New Year to Charles, June and all the family.

 
At 7:45 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

Well, I'm glad to hear you say black eyed peas bring good luck. Up north here we call it 'gas.'
Yeah we have some traditions all of which we broke yesterday. We've always had a big pot of chili and watched the bowl games.
Yesterday we all gathered to watch Nebraska play football from down in yore neck o the woods, and I made a large pot of Oyster stew and an even larger pot of potato and ham soup. It all disappeared. I couldn't believe it.
Good luck in the New Year.

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Margie's Musings said...

We forwent the black eyed peas this year. They are not my favorite. But I'll bet your family enjoyed the fellowship!

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger dot said...

Happy New Year Junie Rose! You folks know how to eat!

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Happy New Year to all of you folks!

:) Thanks for all the comments- I enjoyed reading them!.

Will visit you all soon.


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home