Junie's Place: Boiled Peanuts~ (Goober Peas)

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Boiled Peanuts~ (Goober Peas)

~~~

Oh my...here I go again...off on a winding road of trivia and nonsense!


I find it so funny in Internet contacts with people- how we get sent off on searches, with the least prompting...LOL-Well- I do anyway.

I was talking with a friend online yesterday and our conversation somehow got into nuts...(the kinds we like and do not like)...and peanuts came into it, of course. The peanut, as most people know, is not a nut but a member of the Pea family...but is highly used as a nutty snack - and liked a lot!

Being from the south I know about 'Boiled Peanuts', too, but my friend had never heard of them!
...So of course this sent me off on a search, today!

As I suspected, 'Boiled Peanuts' are of the southern states!


*This website is very interesting and informative!*


This old song was also mentioned so I searched Youtube and found this!
(others, too!)

:) I had not thought of this song in decades!




I have fond memories and good thoughts about boiled peanuts because my sweet mom loved them. No finer treat could you give her than a bag of boiled peanuts from a roadside fruit and veggie stand!


...funny how your memories wander
...


Junie Rose

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At 3:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh goodness Junie--a northerner I am but I remember that melody well.

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I don't like boiled peanuts. I've tried them, but I don't like them at all.
I know lots about nuts since my momma is an almond marketer. I've got LOTS of almonds all the time around here.
:-)

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi JD,

:) I'm not crazy about them either...but -well- it is a different taste that I go for now and then!

My mom LOVED them!

Oh! I love almonds-lol- especially in chocolate!!


Junie

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Mary,


:) I remember that old song too- but I don't know from when or where...maybe in school!

Hope things are going well for you !



Junie

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Sally said...

Oh, my mom loved boiled peanuts, and I do TOO!! I didn't know they were a PEA though. See? Blogging teaches us a lot of important things!! :)

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)

Yah-when boiled they are more like peas or beans!

Boiled Peanutsare, for sure, a different taste treat...but not something I CRAVE! (HAHA- like chocolate???)

lol- blogging is forever sending me off on searches! Gets my mind off my troubles for awhile.

:) you just never know what may crop up in my blogs!!

Junie

 
At 8:06 PM , Blogger SeePearrl said...

sure...i like boiled peanuts over nutty snack ones! :)

 
At 11:45 PM , Blogger Carletta said...

Oh Junie! I was singing the words even before I clicked on the video!
You always bring back so many memories for me - I just love how the same things interest us. :)

 
At 6:40 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Carletta,

So happy this song and memories interested you.
( trivial as some may find this post to be!)

There's always a lot out there to think about and explore - and it was just time for 'boiled peanuts!' ;)

Yes, you and I, do, seem to have a lot of the same interests. It's good to know someone who 'gets it' in a lot of the same ways that I do! LOL

I know we both have a deep appreciation for nature and country living - and our families - and memories!

Junie

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Peanuts aren't nuts? That's nuts. :)

 
At 7:51 AM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) yep- it IS a little nutty, ehh!!

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Small City Scenes said...

"World Peas" MB

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Donna said...

My Hubby Loves boiled peanuts! Thanks for the reminder sweetie!!hughugs

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have never had boiled peanuts before but I have heard they are very tasty.

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Thanks for all your comments!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home